Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Feathering

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mistermarine, Nov 4, 2010.

mistermarine guest

The front tires on my 2010 328i, just 12k on it, are feathering. The rear tires are down to the indicators. These are run flat. The service tech asked if two people drive the vehicle. Is feathering really dependent on the number of drivers? or is it more about what's going on at the front end? Insane. Thanks for the feedback.

PS. The dealer tech is calling BMW to get assistance replacing the tires... Let's see what happens.

BIMMIR guest

You must be new?

Run flats suck, replace them with regular tires ASAP. This is the only way you will be happy with tire wear, ride, noise and handling.

eam3

All the local BMW dealers have these little signs all over the service department stating something along the lines of "It's perfectly normal for BMWs to wear out their tires in 12-15K miles". The rears wore out on my 330Ci in about 12K miles and was told that it was within the expected range. Good luck!

P.S. And yes, runflats are the biggest pieces of crap ever put on a BMW wheel. If you have to pay for new ones out of pocket, ditch the runflats and get real tires.

BMWCCA1

I'm guessing Sport Package with high-performance tires? We have a 2007 328xi on our lot with 27,000 miles on the original all-season Continentals that still passed CPO certification, meaning the tires still had half their original tread. No, high-performance tires won't last that long, but not all run-flats and all brands suck. As a general rule, tires seem to last longer for those owner who check their inflation level regularly. ;)

eam3

I check tire pressures regularly and my front tires were just fine at 12K miles, it was the rears - especially the passenger side one. When I spoke to the service adviser his first question was "Let me guess, the passenger side rear is the one that's mostly worn?" Without looking at the car, he knew. And like I said, the dealers have the little signs everywhere in the service department warning owners that 12-15K miles is "normal".

We did get 35K miles out of the runflats on our E60 535i so I'm not saying that it's impossible to get regular mileage out of a BMW, what I am saying is that don't be shocked when BMW tells the owners that 12-15K is perfectly acceptable as well so he'll have to shell out his own money for new ones.

mistermarine guest

Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the follow up. BMW is replacing the tires that have feathered... I'll replace the others. I at least save 10% on the new tires I'll have to buy. Its crazy to think they run out so quickly....

BMWCCA1

So, what brand were they? Is this a Sport Package car with high-performance summer tires?