Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Rack and ASA wheels / warranty claim

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Clinesdale, Oct 18, 2010.

Clinesdale guest

I bought a set of ASA wheels from Tire Rack 90 days ago. I noticed yesterday that one of the wheels is flaking badly. I called the Tire Rack and they offered to send me 4 new wheels and would have someone pick up the old wheels a week later.

So far, I am very pleased with their service. I've ordered two sets of wheels and three sets of tires in the last two years from Tire Rack.

M3Driver guest

Tire Rack

Agreed: The Tire Rack is great. I have been purchasing tires from them for around 10 years now. I take them to my local BMW dealer and they mount/balance them for me.

Gary (x386) is the local Tire Rack BMW expert and I believe is also an M car driver. He has never steered me wrong.

Deutsch Marques

I also agree that Tire Rack has done me good in the past. My only gripe with them is they don't carry my preferred brand of tire: Toyo.

M3Driver guest

Not quite on par with The Tire Rack but have you tried Discount Tire Direct?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com

I used them for specific brand of Yokohama tire when I had my 330Ci. They are less frills and their prices and such were comparable.

Clinesdale guest

ASA wheels

As a follow-up to my initial post...

I was getting ready to call Tire Rack to make the arrangements for a warranty pickup and decided to get out another set of ASA wheels from storage to clean them up before putting them up for sale. I noticed that they are also having a surface erosion issue. Instead of flaking, they have squiggly etchings that look like something ate a winding trail through the surface.

I guess I'm done with ASA wheels. As someone noted earlier, you get what you pay for.

The Tire Rack asked me to email photos so they could make a determination of how to proceed. One set is under warranty. The second set is one month out of warranty.

Think I could trade both sets for some nice BBS wheels?

M3Driver guest

I think I would probably ask if it was me. You might have to pay a little "boot" to do so but I think it's worth it.

330indy1

I had the same disappointing experience with JH9s with Dunlop WS 3Ds on them. That corrosion that etches through the machined surface, just like little worm trails like you said.
    I even did the wheel wax as a preventive treatment after winter and it didn't prevent it. I was ticked (actually still am). I called Doc and he gave me a break on some 18" Bremmer Kraft wheels.

The experience has me telling friends, stay away from ASA!

Tire Rack did the best they could to keep me as a satisfied customer. The BKs are my fourth wheel/tire combo purchase from TR.

eam3

True.

Back in 1996 I bought a used set of 3 piece BBS RS for my E30 325is. I have no idea how old the wheels were but they looked fantastic. I drove my car for another 100K miles afterward and the wheels still looked new (with proper care of course). If it wasn't because my nephew destroyed the car (literally) and the wheels, I'm sure those BBS would still be around today looking as good as new. Even used they were expensive, but worth every penny.

M3Driver guest

BBS is the major (if not main) manufacturer of BMW OEM wheels. At least they were on the OEM wheels on my ZCP M3. A BBS logo was stamped on the inside of the wheels.

tiFreak

ASA is made by BBS if I'm not mistaken, maybe they cheap out on the finish for ASA rims?

Clinesdale guest

A BMW dealer told me ASA is made by BBS. However, one is Germany based and the other is Asian, I think. I had hoped for more...

Clinesdale guest

On the 2nd set, now out of warranty, this is the explanation I received from Tire Rack about the winding trail of errosion.

"Worm trail corrosion is caused by stone chips in the clear coat. Moisture is then able to get under the clear coat and works its way under the finish making those trails."

They are replacing both sets even though one is a month outside the warranty period. I am awaiting the arrival of the new sets, which I had to pay for (and will receive a credit for), before I return the older sets. I'm assuming that all is well at this point. However, I won't know for sure until they receive the wheels I'm returning and the credit is applied.

Lou Slugnutz guest

I believe ASA is a Korean company that is licensed by BBS to use some of their technologies.