Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 Clutch replacement cost

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by myronm, Oct 8, 2010.

myronm

A few years back, I gave my son a 2003 525i with a 5speed manual trans & sport package. No issues until now that my son reports chattering and vibrations when he shifts. There are only 77,000 miles on the car. I have checked around and have found the clutch kit from BMW (clutch disc, pressure plate & throwout bearing) for $285-347.

Any estimates on the number of hours that I can expect to be charged for a clutch replacement?

Thoughts & comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Myron M
    Ft Worth, TX
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Check to see if the car has a clutch delay valve. If so removing that usually helps with clutch action.

pcurrier

myronm,

I can't directly answer the number of hours, but I've recently gotten quotes for my '02 530. My local dealer quoted me $1300 parts and labor (I didn't ask for a club discount at the time). The BMW-focused independants in town are coming in between $900-$1000. I've found the Clutch Kit at approx. $500. Could you tell me where you're finding it for those prices?

Another thing to think about is the flywheel. While he doesn't have near as many miles as my e39 (165,000 mi.), you should give it a good look to make sure it's in proper shape..no cracks, heat damage, etc. The labor to replace it with the clutch will be minimal, if any. The flywheel, itself is the pricy part ($700ish).

fwiw..
    I'm in agreement with Moosehead, pull that CDV out of there whether the clutch needs replaced or not. Your son will have a much more pleasant motoring experience.

enjoy,
    Pat Currier
    Cincinnati
    '02 530
    '99 M3

myronm

I went on bavauto.com and found the $284 price for the kit. Part # : 21 21 7 523 620. It takes 3-5 days for them to ship it as they get it from BMW. I called a local BMW dealership and they quoted me $347 when I asked for a club price. I then had my parts guy (I work at a non-BMW german dealership) call and he was told $320.

I've been reading about the best way to get rid of the CDV. Some folks write about simply pulling it out, most suggest installing a dummy CDV in the line to maintain proper spacing. I'm in that court. I've seen dummy CDV's priced around $30-40. My 2005 Z4 will also get the CDV surgery at the same time.

My next step is to talk with a local shop about doing the work.

Thanks.

Myron M.
    Ft Worth, TX

mooseheadm5

Indy shops are the best. Might want to stay away from Autobahn.

myronm

I have been a long time Autobahn customer for cars & parts only. They did some warranty work for me without any issues. I worked for them a while back. Not a bad organization at all but then again I've never been a paying service customer. I'll probably call Lone Star Bavarian or try some of the shops in Dallas near my office.

Myron M.

mooseheadm5