Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Coolant puddle found

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by slinky66, Oct 8, 2010.

slinky66 guest

I smelled coolant last night when I was going through the drive-in ATM so I quickly pulled over, while engine was running, opened the hood and did not see any wet coolant or leaks near the hoses or at the base of the radiator. When I got home however, I noticed a small trail of coolant on the driveway. From the position of the spill, it looks like it was dripping right under the drivers side front seat. I looked underneath and sure enough, the car was wet with coolant at about that location. I will investigate further, after work today when I have the proper light and tools but can anyone speculate on where the leak might be originating? 1995 525i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=11_1123&hg=11&fg=35

Thanks

ForcedInduction guest

Sure we can speculate but it really won't do you much good. ;) You need to go ahead and inspect your car and determine exactly where the leak is.

John in VA

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If it isn't blowing back and is actually leaking from the vicinity of your driver's seat, I'd say it is your heater core.

slinky66 guest

Found the souce of the leak

Looks like the auxiliary water pump is leaking - All the hoses leading in and out of the pump are fine but when I looked at the aux water pump with a dental mirror, I saw the leak coming right out of the aux water pump, on the bottom of the pump
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That sucks. Those are expensive.

slinky66 guest

I found a Hella auxiliary water pump for $125.00 at USAAutoparts.net. Pelican Parts wanted $163.00 for the same part. -Tom

jfj707

I don't know how DIY-ambitious you are, but if the pump still works fine and just has a leaky housing, it may be re-sealable (possibly an o-ring). Also, just as a caution, sometimes leaks can be deceiving. I spent days chasing down a coolant leak on my old 530i that ended up being a hairline fracture in the thermostat housing. Gravity makes it hard to find the source ;) Not questioning your diagnosis, just throwing in my .02

slinky66 guest

Coolant Leak Fixed

Turns out that the aux. water pump was leaking from a seal. I replaced it - all better now. You can sort of see from the photo, that the coolant was escaping from a bad seal. Thanks to everyone for the input.