Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What must I do to change my rear wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by sydro2013, Oct 2, 2010.

sydro2013

I have a 1998 323ic. I only wanted to change the backing plate, but now see that I must go much deeper.
    Could someone please tell me step by step instructions on what I have to do? Thank you.

MGarrison

EuroWerkz1

At least a manual

I agree, this is not a beginner level DIY job. Even with the tools it's maybe among the worse jobs on any BMW. I'd advise you pay the few hours of labor and let someone with experience and tools do it for you. Don't be dime wise and dollar foolish.

Enjoy

Bimmerdan

I couldn't agree more. I love working on my own cars but when it was time to have the rear wheel bearings replaced on the E36, I took it to the shop and let them handle it. I stuck around to watch and even though the guys had all the right tools and had done the job a hundred times...it was still a major pain in the butt for them. There aren't many jobs I won't attempt to do on my own but this was one I had heard too many horror stories about. Very glad I passed on this one!

chicane

This ^. I have the tools and I have done this job and I have to say it is a real PITA. I have to say, even for an experienced person, this is a job that you would consider passing off to a shop for a decent price.