Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Which states, statistically speaking, have the worst drivers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Sep 28, 2010.

CSBM5

After spending two weeks in Germany this summer, it was really sad to have to drive on our roads here again. There the "typical" driver focuses on efficiency and safety from my experience. None of the "me first, screw you" attitude so prevalent on roads in the USA.

One thing that is awesome there is that they patrol the autobahns with unmarked video capturing cars looking for tailgaters. If you are caught tailgating at speeds over 100kph, you lose your license for 1 to 3 months. Tailgating there is defined as 1/3 of the required gap (required gap is 1/2 the speed, so if 120kph, gap is 60m). Imagine if we had laws like that here in the US? Overnight, probably 75% of the drivers would lose their licenses.

Of course seeing that unrestricted sign was a great part of driving in Germany too. Thank goodness we don't have that here since we have a driver's license requirement threshold lower than the lowest common denominator. :(

Deutsch Marques

I would vote to make our licensing restrictions and traffic enforcement much tougher, plus higher taxes on road use and fuel to build proper roads and highways. But I am in the minority, and it would be political suicide for any government to attempt to pass such laws. Because here in the States, it's all about "me" and my "right" to drive however the heck I want instead of a privilege of driving a car and the safety of others.

bcweir

My drivers license proposals are a little more radical.

• Nobody under the age of 18 has an unrestricted drivers license
    • Drop out of school, give up the license until you get diploma or GED
    • Between 18 and 21, you're limited to one moving violation a year, as long as it causes no property damage, human injury or death
    • Kill somebody through negligence, drugs, alcohol, or sheer stupidity, lifetime ban on driving
    • Now for the fun parts
    • Standardize driving instruction in all 50 states.
    • Require professional driving instruction for two years before getting a license. Youths can start at 16. Make it part of the curriculum
    • Offer discounts on tickets and citations if you otherwise have a safe driving record.
    • Put a youth premium on tickets and citations to encourage more responsible driving for motorists under 30.
    • Create a high-performance class of driver license. Much higher fees, but this funds a special class of high speed drivers. Take additional training, and gain the privilege of using special high speed lanes on interstates. Requires additional high speed training, liability waivers, and no-fault injury and property damage coverage. Also requires a stepped up vehicle safety inspection.

az3579

To whoever posted the link for which states have the worst drivers:

That article is already bogus. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that some states have people with high 40's out of 50 people UNDER THE INFLUENCE at any given time. That is a load of BULL.

If that's the case, then everyone in CT would be DEAD.

bcweir

I only posted it -- I didn't WRITE it!

You're almost as bad as Krieger when it comes to aiming at the target and hitting bystanders instead.

az3579

I wasn't aiming at you, I was discrediting the article.
    It's OK to misunderstand. :p

CRKrieger

No you weren't. The numbers to which you refer are the state's ranking compared to other states. When you read it again, it'll all make more sense.

Yes, it is. You are forgiven.

bcweir

Thank you Krieger! *argh! I HATE it when he's right!*

Checking outside my window for the apocalypse.....

az3579

They definitely should've clarified that in the article. It's too easy to misunderstand it.

jfj707

I can't believe no one mentioned the nice lachssilber E34 vs bicycle in slide 48 (Massachusetts) =)

Michgndr89

After yesterday, I'm changing my vote to California.

Doing 70 mph on I-80 near Laramie, WY, a California-plated pickup truck nearly caused disaster by attempting to use the lane I was already occupying.

Had I been any slower putting my Silverado brakes full ABS mode, I would have probably spun the guy into the concrete highway divider and then T-boned him. My only choices were A) hope to slow in time, B) hit the truck, or C) smear myself on the concrete divider. Happy to report Choice A worked out.

God forbid he'd caused damage to my Bimmer...I'd be reporting this from jail!

I did remember to render the proper salute.