Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Introducing Myself and Black Betty

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by dude8383, Sep 17, 2010.

dude8383

Hey guys,

Just became a member recently so that I could take advantage of membership discounts on track events and get the Roundel!

Here's a Direct link to my build thread over on r3vlimited.

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=101234

So some info on the car....

It's a 1991 BMW 318is with an M50B25 swap.

I'm a bit of a nutcase so I did some work to it before I swapped it. Initially it was just going to be a purchase and drop-in affair, but when I put the motor on my engine stand I was just like...hmmm gotta replace at least some gaskets before I put this sucker in there. Which lead to a ground up rebuild...not to mention my FIRST engine rebuild.

The bottom end came from an M52B28 (E36 328is). I used the stock rods and purchased new OEM+ MaxSil pistons because the used ones were completely useless. I could have went for the M3 bits but the deal was too hard to pass up.

After that I found out that the M52 headers were lighter and also flowed much better so I picked those up. Nice looking pieces too. I didn't want to go too lightweight with the flywheel because A. I was afraid of chatter with an unsprung clutch and B. the 8.5lb flywheel was $1k... so the flywheel is 16lbs which has no chatter whatsoever. Before I brought the head to the machine shop I ported the intake side to allow for some more flow, there's not much I could do because the intake manifold has limited room for it. I also ported the exhaust manifolds for a little bit of power as well. At the machine shop the head received a 3-angle valve job and a full cleaning. When I went to pick it up I had hard time believing that was in fact the head that I originally brought to him. I didn't know that cleaning it would make it look brand-spankin new!

Finally I rounded everything off with a custom chip from The Racers Market (TRM) which smoothed things out and gave the M3 cams the added fuel they needed.

Phew, I think I've said enough, I'll let the pics do the talking from here. I'm no photographer by any means!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Oh and here's a couple of me taking it to its first dyno, nearly two years after the build! Took it to MaximumPSI in Linden, NJ.

Pull 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCYAMjYuGk

Pull 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1tEkkOORtc

Probe flew out on the 2nd pull thats why the dyno sheet shows a wacky A/F.

Pull 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwPm19RLOE

4th gear pulls.

205hp @ 6500 rpm
    182tq @ 4650 rpm

Everything checks out really nicely, motor is strong and my a/f curve looks good. Mike, the shop owner, said that TRM could remap the curve slightly and grab some fuel from the 5300 rpm area and get some more fuel towards the end of the revving range to get some more power. Overall I'm happy to see that I've built a healthy motor!

$90 for 3 pulls.

[IMG]

[IMG]

P.S.

I will heading up to Watkins Glen for the HPDE that the Genesee Valley Chapter setup.

September 25 & 26th.

http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/events/eventview.aspx?EventID=99

-Denis

arsenylibon

Awesome little intro! Love the car btw :D

dude8383

Haha, what's up stranger!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the funhouse!

I expect to see you at the Puget Sound E30 Picnic next year!!

:D :D :D

granthr

Welcome!!! Always glad to have more E30 fanatics over here!!! Great car!!!! :D :cool:

bcweir

Congrats. You turned your E30 from a couch potato to a butt-kicking Lucy Liu!

Great job!

eam3

That is a beautiful E30 (I know, redundant). Congratulations!

Hockeystyx

That is amazing!

Hi!

You saw much more than potential- it's a true star!! :)

dude8383

That would be a sweet roadtrip!

Thanks man, definitely happy to be a member finally! :D

Thanks!

Hehe, thank you either way.

Thank you very much. It's definitely been quite a trip!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, dang. . .

Now you make me feel like it's about time I got around to painting the Bad Dog. . . :eek: :eek: :eek:

az3579

Satch,
    Not painting Bad Dog is E30 abuse. Cease and desist now! (Or more appropriately, get your butt to work!)

CRKrieger

Oh, yeah; like that car hasn't had its lifetime allotment of abuse already ... :rolleyes:

onebadm

Nice!!

What a beautiful ride! Your hard work and passion certainly shows!!

dude8383

Went to Watkins Glen over the weekend and had an absolute blast!

Hockeystyx

Dude! I love the picture of the car on the beach... that's too cool! :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh, mannn!

I SO love blacked-out chrome! That's the first cosmetic thing I did to the Bad Dog---but now the paint is flaking off the chrome!

Sigh. . . I fear that when I finally get around to doing it, I will have to do it RIGHT. . .

dude8383

Thanks! I took these photos @ Floyd Bennet Field.

Google maps link:
    http://tinyurl.com/4nxb3s7

Great place to take photos...It would also be an ideal location to setup auto-x's!!

Completely forgot I started this thread!

Yeh, I'm diggin the "Darth'ed out" look myself. The kidneys will stay chrome though, there needs to be some contrast in there haha. I'm patiently waiting for mtechII front and rear bumpers + respective valances to come up for sale to complete the kit. I haven't done a single thing to the car since my last post but I am going to be putting my wheels up for sale shortly. I picked up a set of euroweaves for track use just recently. Thinking about purchasing Direzza Sport Z1's because I don't think I'm ready for r-compounds yet...still a newbie and I don't want to get too cocky on the track!

Anyway, here's a few pics that my friend took sometime ago in the Jersey City business District.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I finally painted my lip spoiler as well...only took a year!

Plans for this coming spring/summer are...

-Attend more HPDE's - already signed up for GVC at Watkins again :D
    -Get out to an auto-x to understand how the car responds in more aggressive transitions
    -See if I can make a little bit more power from my current setup

I wanted to go turbo but I prefer N/A way more...its tempting because I can make a ton of power. The idea of finding an S54 to swap in is far more appealing though wouldn't you agree?

Catch you guys later!