Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Powder Coating

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by ohmyeye, Sep 9, 2010.

ohmyeye

I have an 08 750Li with the sports package and 20" wheels. They are a pain to clean and was wondering if anyone has ever had their wheels powder coated? I'm thinking about having them done black.

John in VA

Motorcyclists have been powder-coating wheels forever. I've had several sets done for my cars. It can cause a problem with sealing the tire at the bead, so just use someone who has years of experience.

BMWtoyz guest

I had powder coated wheels on my M roadster, (bought them that way). They were fine, heavier than the stock painted wheels, thought not by much. No seating problems, very difficult to chip and very durable. The color was off and I sold them to go back to stock painted wheels.

superdave2002 guest

About 15 years ago I had a E30 M3 White,
    Anyway , I hated cleaning brake dust, so I painted them black. Looked great.( hardly anyone did that then)
    Used Krylon epoxy refridgerater paint.
    Sold the wheels three years later to a friend who didn't like the black. He complained about how hard the paint was to take off.
    I think it held up better than powder coating. AND is much cheaper. Plus you can do it yourself.

ohmyeye

Thanks for the info

bcweir

Buy a canister of wheel wax and apply the next time you clean your wheels

Dirt and dust simply wipe right off.

granthr

+1 Buy Wheel Wax, does an amazing job in terms of how easy it is to clean break dust off. The other option is to change pads, but not recommended for track or spirited driving. Dust free pads generally don't bite as quickly.