Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Clean Windows

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by ltir, Apr 15, 2008.

Qunadry

Seems like everyone likes to buy a "status" brand, even for cleaning windows. I have found that nothing beats Stoner's. It truly makes glass invisible, and I get two bottles for $5.99 at a local bulk club. I do however agree with using microfiber and the two cloth method sounds good.

WDW1Fanatic guest

I agree with Agenda. I converted over from Griot's Window Cleaner a couple of years back to Stoner's. Zero streaks when you do the job with a microfiber towel. Just keep it dry and don't use a lot of product.

BMWCCA1

Well, for that matter, you can also buy ammonia-free Windex in large bottles and not have to fool with an aerosol can of a "status" brand with such an asinine name as "Stoners". Works pretty darn well, too. Just not as good as Autosport. (Yeah, I know you can get Stoners in a pump bottle, but you just don't see it that way around here.)

eschummer guest

I've just started using Stoner Invisible Glass, and found it to do an outstanding job. The trick again is to use two microfiber towels, one to apply/clean, and another to dry/polish.

r2j75

For the inside - Number one rule is to make sure you're cleaning your glass when it's cool and in the shade. Hot glass will evaporate the liquid you put on and the streaks will win every time.

I used to use Eagle One until they changed their formula a couple years ago. It really was a turn for the worse. I tried Griot's and wasn't as impressed as I am with all their other products. I now use Meguiar's NXT Generation glass cleaner with microfiber towels. The results are great - very little streaking if any and it has a nice smell. With all the glass cleaners I've used over the years it seems there's always streaks. The best way to fight it is with the 2 towel approach. Have a dry one to come back and "polish" the glass after you've taken all the liquid off. That's the only way you can truly get all the streaks.

For non-tinted windows Griot's glass polish does a nice job but it can be a little messy. Very similar to polishing your paint, there will be granules you'll have to sweep from your dash and doors. I wouldn't recommend a polish for back windows due to the defroster lines. Better to be safe.

For the outside - after a thorough hand washing of your car including special attention to the glass, inspect it with your finger tips. Is it rough like your paint before you take a clay bar to it? If so, take the Speedshine and clay bar to your windows, wipe dry with cotton or microfiber cloths. Now clean with your favorite spray cleaner and paper towels to help take away any residue. Then hit it with Rain-X. Take the Rain-X off with a terry towel and buff with a soft cotton cloth. Who needs windshield wipers anyway!

Sorry for the long post, but glass has frustrated me over the years and after much trial and error I feel like I've got a good handle on it. I think it's the hardest part of detailing, well, except for cleaning and waxing my ZHP wheels, talk about a time killer....

boqron guest

Does anyone have a solution to clear some of the thousands sand/dirt chips on the windshield. I've heard from toothpaste to baking soda to polishing compound. Any suggestions?

BMWCCA1

Really, your only hope is a new windshield. Not a cheap option but that's about all that's going to take care of actual chips in the glass. One of the consequences of driving on the highways of Virginia. The faster you drive, the quicker it seems to pit the glass. I've pretty much ruined a new glass in two years and 40,000 miles. The good news is I've never seen a Virginia insurance policy that charged a deductible for glass replacement. Whether chips constitute a reason for replacement or not is between your glass installer and the insurance company. Maybe a neighborhood kid just happened to be taking target practice with a sling-shot and some BBs in your subdivision? ;)

jesimmons guest

I agree.. A "sand-blasted" windshield as I call it is difficult if not impossible to repair satisfactorily. Its easier to just have the windshield replaced. Since it can be a safety issue, some insurance policies may cover it. Check with yours.

M3Driver guest

I'd insist on BMW-OEM glass as well. It' my understanding that some the "OEM-Like" glass can sometimes not fit as well which can lead to leaks, wind noise, etc...

bluewagon

Glass Cleaner

Try a product called Wet Paint. go to web site wetpaintglaze.com.I was a Griots guy until I tried this product.

GSMetal

I agree with the Stoner's Invisible Glass and microfiber cloth - and it's fairly inexpensive as well.

John in VA

Advance Auto is running a special right now. Buy the spray or aerosol Invisible Glass and get a pair of microfiber for glass towels free!

Oops - the promo ended Mar 31st.

ForcedInduction guest

I've had good results with the Invisible Glass and MF cloth. No streaks, just clean and easy.

wretched

I think M3 and I are both Griot's champions! I like there window cleaner but I have had much better luck using a more plush microfiber cloth with it then the glass cleaning griot's clothes. A cloth like the interior cleaner clothes (med. green) The blue glass cleaning clothes I have trouble with.

If you really want to use paper towel or newspaper... hmmm Then use Stoner's Invisible Glass in the aerosol can. Not great for environment but it is a alternative.

EDIT:... Dang I need to read ALL the post before chiming in...

GSMetal

Just an FYI - the Invisible Glass comes in a pump sprayer for all your tree huggers. :D

ForcedInduction guest

Below is a pretty informative link on window cleaning that I just came across. There is quite a bit of useful tech info. in the DD Tips section for those who are interested. I use Invisible Glass which works fine, is cheap and readily available to me. Some folks prefer other brands. I don't use paper towels or newspaper as they are would based products that can scratch or cause swirls. I use an MF towel to wipe the glass after spraying on the cleaner and another MF towel to remove any remaining cleaner residue resulting in no streaks and clean glass.

http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/cleaning-automotive-glass/

WesTex335

I use equal parts alcohol, vinegar and water and a micofiber towel.

bcweir

Why does someone have to be an environmentalist to appreciate our environment?

Can't we enjoy automobiles without hurling political epithets at people?

What do you have against trees? Or hugging them? Plant life, particularly trees, generate nearly all of the breatheable oxygen on this planet, as well as exchanging the carbon dioxide we CAN'T breathe with the oxygen we must HAVE to do so. I think we could all stand getting a little tree bark on her shirts; we'd likely all suffocate without them.

I would think not dumping more areosol CFC's into our atmosphere would be something EVERYONE could appreciate.

Best of all, a spray bottle means the canister can be reused, either for refills or other purposes. Less waste in our landfills. How about that?

ForcedInduction guest

I believe you missed the :D in GSMetal's post. ;)

meteck

Well, I've got to say, there sure are al lot of opinions as to what works best.