Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Service Engine Soon Light

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by joearm, Sep 4, 2010.

joearm guest

Have a year old 328i XDrive Coupe. Stopped for gas yesterday and when I got back in the car the Service Engine Soon light was on and has been on ever since. Took it to the dealer and they said it was likely a gas cap issue and it would reset eventually. They said it was ok to drive. I just figured they didn't want to deal with me on a Friday afternoon. The light is still on and it's really bugging me. Anyone experienced this issue and does it really just take some time to reset? Thanks.

floydarogers

If it is because of a loose gas cap, it could take 2-3 days to reset. Depends upon number of starts and miles, etc.

The dealer probably should have had the codes read to see what the problem was. You could go by Autozone or Pep Boys and have them read if you get motivated.

joearm guest

Thanks. That is exactly what they said.

tiFreak

was the car running while you were putting gas in? that would also cause the light

joearm guest

It was not running. I didn't notice anything different than any other time I put gas in it. Very frustrating.

MrZip guest

If the light stays on then there is a fault - The tech would have to read it with the computer - Hopefully the light will go out!!

MGarrison

nice avatar - lol!

joearm guest

Light Still On!

Well, light is still on after one week. Guess it's not going to clear on it's own. Called the dealer and the earliest appointment I could get was two weeks from now!!! Hope the engine doesn't blow up before then.

dms540i

Why don't you just stop by Autozone. They will read your codes for free while you wait. Have them print it out for you so you can search the boards for the typical remedy. It's best to have this knowledge in hand before you set foot in the dealership. That way you can make an informed decision when the time comes.
    1 people like this.

joearm guest

That's what I did. Came up with a fault code 2A17. Something to do with a DMTL leak, whatever that is. Anyway, went to dealer Friday and they are ordering a part. Under warranty, so it's all good.

dms540i

Thats the module that pressurizes the evaporative system in order to check for leaks. It appears to be pretty common with E90s.

joearm guest

Good info. Thanks! They said it was ok to drive until the part comes in next week.