Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

OEM windshield replacement

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mrglock, Aug 28, 2010.

mrglock

I caught rock to the windshield on vacation near Charleston, SC. I didn't let it ruin my travels however I dreaded dealing with my insurance company. I took the car into my local dealer just to ask about what to expect and ask for in a replacement. The local dealer stated use to use OEM glass and a recommended installer. I then contacted the insurance company and advised them of my wishes for OEM and the installer. They did their normal pitch for chip repair and after market glass. I held my ground and they meet all my wishes. My hat of to Allstate and the OEM replacement.

alstroberg guest

How bad is the ding?

and where is it?
    If it's small -dime to nickel sized- and especially if it not in the driver's central field, reconsider chip repair.
    In the right setting it is fast, cheap and very durable. That as opposed to the possibility of a less-than-perfect installation of a new glass- which may leak, whistle, or mess with your rain sensor.
    My experience has been good with repair, in the right setting.

mrglock

It was quarter size just left of the rain sensor. The rain sensor was replace along with the windshield. [IMG]

Zahnarzt

Stick with OEM.

I'm on my 4th windshield after dredging through my daily commute through the south end, gravel truck-infested stretch of I90/94 in Chicago. I tried the generic aftermarket windshield the insurance company wanted me to use, and it was obviously different in terms of tint, and it seemed to have more waviness than the OEM. I couldn't stand it and had them replace it with an OEM a few days later.

I also tried to "live with" a larger chip this last time around, and just like the TV commercials, the thing grew FAST and spread the length of the windshield overnight.

I had this last OEM windshield installed for $745 all said and done a few months ago.

I look to change my location in the relatively near future, and once I don't have daily gravel spray, I'll probably fill in the little pot marks I already have and use glass polishing compounds to smooth things out again.

mrglock

We finally had rain here in Central Illinois. The rain sensor worked better than before. I have not noticed any leaks as of yet.