Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

GPS for M3

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by furmacs, Aug 16, 2010.

furmacs guest

I found a GPS module that will fit into my 2006 M3 (on bimmian.com). The module fits where the CD player and Heater/AC controls are currently located. Basically the GPS takes up this area. You lose the small storage box (below it) as the AC/heater controls are moved there. Does anyone know how to get the this dash panel off?

Does anyone have any opinions on the GPS itself?

Here is the link:

http://www.bimmian.com/46/GPS/

Thank you,

Zeichen311

There is no "dash panel" per se to remove: The ashtray, option switches, sunglass cubby, IHKA module (heat/AC controls) and radio are all separate, modular units that snap/screw into the center console stack. Disassembly can be a little unnerving because some steps require just enough force to make you think you're about to break something. Basically the stack comes apart from the bottom up, starting with the console trim panel around the shift lever and proceeding from there.

If you think this won't be the only DIY work you do on this car, invest the additional $100 now and buy the Bentley service manual for it. The instructions surpass most anything you will find online and it can easily pay for itself many times over.

As for the GPS unit: If the quality of the English translation of the user manual is any indication, I suspect it will have some amusing ... um, operational quirks. Finally, if the car is still under warranty I would be reluctant to install any aftermarket device that connects to the IBUS (as this does), since it will be a guaranteed magnet to deny warranty coverage for any IBUS-connected OE components.

furmacs guest

How (and where) can I obtain this Bentley service manual?

Thank you,

furmacs guest

I found it on Amazon--Thank you!