Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Car Refuses to Accept Gas @ Fill-Up, What Gives????

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Jay328ix, Aug 9, 2010.

Jay328ix

New member here, thought I'd start with a question:

I have 09' 328ix E92 Coupe with 6K miles. Since new I have had the darndest time every time it is due for fill-up. I have tried different stations - all with same results. It seems that no matter how I hold the gas nozzle when filling, the pump continously kicks off due to backpressure at the slightest pull of the trigger???

After fooling around with different positions it seems to work with pump at slowest speed and the nozzle held all the way in, rotated clockwise about 30 degrees, and tilted with nozzle angled down.

Believe it or not, it has taken me 20min to fill the tank this way.

I have a scheduled service appt. next week - just wanted to see if this is a problem seen regularly?

Pretty bad when I can't get gas into a $42K car without using a 'magic spell'

I did try searching on subject - didn't come up with nething...

bcweir

Make sure you're not jamming down too hard on the pump.

Just a possibility here - not assuming you're doing anything wrong -- but let's rule out all of the possibilities.

You only need to press down enough to push open that little flap inside your fill pipe. Make sure the hose isn't being squeezed or pinched (that shouldn't be possible since these hoses are pretty thick to recover stray gas fumes from filling up).

Another possibility is that you might have something wrong with your EGR or pressure system in your tank. If the pressure is too high inside your fuel system, this may be causing the issue.

When you first open your fuel door and unscrew the cap, you should hear a loud hiss as your fuel system depressurizes. If so, that's a good sign. If not, your fuel system may be trapping this pressure in your system, and the gas pump's safety system may be kicking in as a result.

Pyewacket1

I own a 2010 328i Convertible, and I have also noticed the increased/extra sensitivity of filling the gas tank as compared to my other vehicles...even my 2007 Z4 Coupe. But, I have never had to spend anywhere near 20 minutes to fill the tank.

I suspect its simply a design issue, with a sharply curved filler tube as the possible reason. At most, I have spent no more than 1 additional minute gassing up the 328 .vs. any other car with roughly the same size tank.

Of course, there may indeed be a problem with your vehicle. See what the service tech has to say about it...

tiFreak

when I see this problem it's usually the vent tube on the filler is plugged, not sure how that could have happened on a car that's so new though :confused:

bcweir

Here's a new question that might offer a clue to the problem

Does BMW put something in the filler tube while shipping the car? For example, BMW is known for putting battery disconnects on the battery during shipping a vehicle across the Atlantic. The dealer is supposed to remove these once the car is delivered to the customer.

Does BMW also put something in the gas filler tube to protect the vehicle there also? I didn't think this was necessary, as with the battery disconnect (BMW would certainly not want a customer to take delivery of a vehicle with a dead battery, as could happen during the weeks it is on the ship being delivered to the customer).

Jay328ix

I've tried pushing nozzle in all way, in just enought to open flap, in halfway - nuttin works. Pump hose is not ever kinked.

Opening the cap is yet another trick. I twist it open, and then have to fiddle with it rocking back & forth while twisting to get the cap ears to come out of filler neck slots. Only slight annoyance, but I'm used to caps just coming right off with no effort on cars half the price.

Come to think of it, every car I have ever owned (mostly GM up till now), when opening cap I hear the system pressure release. I have NEVER heard this on the BMW. So it very may well be a problem with tank vent line or something in pressure system causing the problem.

Honestly, I'm not simply stupid - not doing anything any different than any other car I have owned & the time to fill up has become unbearable.

Thanx for all the replies - I'll bring up some of these possibilities with SA

Guess I'll find out this coming Monday when I take it in. I'll post up the results...

On another note, I have forum options set to 'Instant email notification' for replies, luckily I just happened to check this post cause I got zero notifications of the many replies?????

GSMetal

Fussy eater?:p

Jay328ix

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, I did talk with the SA today, he stated that car should not make a noise when removing cap, such as release of pressure, because there is a valve somewhere in the system that does that. He did say he though might be blockage in vent line or kink in hose.

So not only is she a fussy eater - she's kinky too!

bcweir

As Mike Miller is so fond of saying...

.............tell the SA to stick to SETTING SERVICE APPOINTMENTS and let the technicians do the diagnosing and fixing.

Service Advisors are not supposed to be making diagnoses or doing any actual servicing. An SA could potentially get into a lot of trouble by making these sort of shot-in-dark guesses about the problem, and generally don't have the service training or experience needed to make a proper diagnosis on this issue.

Most of us wouldn't let a triage nurse do heart surgery on us -- don't let a SA perform unauthorized service or "guesses" as to what's wrong with your car. Generally this just leads to frustrated customers and wild goose chases.

Jay328ix

Apparently the techs don't know much at my dealer either :(

Spent 2.5 hrs waiting, all they could come up with they THINK it's something to do with the evap system. Had to open a case with BMW, who of course, want them to run a gamut of tests including smoke tests, etc.

It's going back in next week for a day or 2 - but at least I get to drive a Z4 loaner.

Oh, and they had to replace the gas cap since it also would usually take 5min of fiddling to get it off...