Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Harman whoever "most original" award

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2010' started by billwill72tii, Aug 8, 2010.

billwill72tii guest

Is that still on for this year and does anyone know the judging criteria?

bcweir

Never heard of it. Your guess is as good as mine

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Isn't Harman the car stereo company? Or were you referring to Hamann (the BMW aftermarket parts company)?

MGarrison

This is exactly why I wish the 'CCA O'Fest website, at a minimum, would include some information and devote some space about the members who have had traditional O'Fest memorial awards established in their names, to, ostensibly, honor the memory of those members!

An award in somebody's memory is meaningless if nobody knows why it was named after someone, or who they were - which is disrespectful to that person's memory, the club's longstanding history, and that person's role & involvement in the club.

And, no, the solution is not to just drop somebody's name from the award! Doing so would be disrespectful of the tradition of that award.

I can see not necessarily devoting the print space or extra expense for same in the printed O'Fest program, even though that's an appropriate spot for such info every year, but it can't possibly be that big of a deal to devote a page or two in the O'Fest section of the 'CCA website with a brief bio, a few pictures, and the history of the award.

If we're to have the Charlie Sutey Longest-Distance-Traveled/Driven-to-O'Fest, Parker Spooner Memorial, and Harmon W. Fischer Most-Original-Round-Taillight-2002 awards, how about a little more detail someplace, than just the name?

Is anyone here on the forums who actually knew Charlie, Parker, & Harmon, besides Phil Marx?

Maybe in another 40 years we'll be establishing the Satch Carlson Creative-Prose Award... do we really want club members walking around scratching their head saying.... "Satch who..??"

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question Bill, but I'm sure somebody will; just so you know, don't take my commentary personally, it's a big club with a long history, it's certainly no fault of yours if you don't happen to know who Harmon Fischer was!

If anyone's interested in some brief info about Harmon - this was found with some quick googling -

http://www.wmc-bmwcca.org/documents/profile/2007-5.pdf - see pg. 17
    http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/Bimmers/2007_12.pdf - see pg. 11

bcweir

But he didn't say which Harmon...

...heck he didn't even spell the guy's name right. With all due respect, I doubt any of us would want someone attaching "whoever" as a pseudo-last name, anymore than Satch would like to be heretofore known as Satch Whatshisname.

Come on. There's nothing more personal than somebody's name -- especially if it's someone who's passed on that we meant to honor.

Otherwise, if you're asking for the "Harman Whoever" contest, don't get ticked off if nobody knows what you're talking about.
    • Staff

steven s

Bill,
    Take a look in the 2010_OfestCompetitionRulesGuidelines_v1.07.pdf.
    You can find it on the homepage of the Ofest website.
    That will also answer your Concours question also.

Are you registered?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

The lost and forgotten

Satch who?

CRKrieger

If it's something to which you would aspire, I would think you'd treat the individual with a little more respect than to misspell his first name and replace his last with "whoever".

I am not the only one around who remembers the irascible and curmudgeonly Harmon Fischer as a friend. I still have his card.

Finally, what part of this most aptly-named award don't you understand?

BMWCCA1

Joe Chamberlain usually handles the Harmon Fischer award judging and brings his own judging sheets. The normal crew, for the past few years, has been Joe, Rob Mitchell, and myself with the invaluable assistance of the newly added young 'un Ben Thongsai who knows more about Harmon's favorite vehicles than any man walking.

The judging will be in good hands this year as it always is. They just won't include mine. Y'all have fun now!

mjcalabrese

Satch who?

Isn't he the guy with the funny paint job on his roadster?

CRKrieger

You mean funny - "ha ha" or ... ?:confused:

Gonzogonzilla

Harman W. Fischer Award Winner

The criterea is simply, the most original 'O2 Roundie at the show. Here's the 2010 winner...Baby II.

Gonzogonzilla

Harman W. Fischer Award

Oop's, glitch. Here's the car.

John in VA

Pretty car - is that Atlantik blau? Who is the owner?

Gonzogonzilla

I'm the owner.