Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

535xi oil capacity and thump on starting

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by biglen, Apr 13, 2008.

biglen

First question: The "no dipstick" stinks. Trying to find out the oil capacity of my '08 535xi sedan. Dealer performed two off schedule changes for me. Charged me for 7 qts once and 8 qts the other. Dealer says the truth is between 7 and 8 qts. Manual does not specify.

Second question: Intermittently, when starting I hear / feel a slight thump right after start. Sounds like it's coming from exhaust. Dealer was able to reproduce and says it's "a quirk" of all '08 5 series related to hydraulic parking pawl. Hard for me to believe. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

jayesler guest

Oil

You have to go through the iDrive in order to get the measurements for the oil. First in the main screen press down on the controller. Then you must go through the service tab and press down on the controller and then go through the car settings and you can get the measurement.
    I have a 535i and 550i and both of them do that also. I think that there is no problem with that.

biglen

Thank you but I know how to get the oil level display up.
    I'm trying to find out the capacity so I can change it myself.

Thanks again.

bslovon guest

isnt is free with the dealer?

Thanks

jayesler guest

The oil change is free if it is under manufacturer's warranty.

biglen

thanks all

Oil change is free but I may want to do one off cycle. Don't know the capacity.

bl

BMWCCA1

From another thread you posted in:

Punch the last seven digits of your VIN in here and it should give you your fluid capacities. Looks like 6.5L for engine oil.

biglen

Thanks

Very cool - thanks.