Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Speedometer Flaw

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Colonel, Aug 6, 2010.

bcweir

Here's what I want to know...

Garmin doesn't RUN the GPS system, a division of the United States Military does. What I want to know is, let's say, (hypothetically, this is a laughable supposition) BMW adjusts his speedo so that it's "exactly" right.

What happens when the government makes an adjustment to the GPS system (which is perfectly within their purview), and his Garmin is now x mph off (x = any figure other than four). From his perspective, his speedometer will now be "off" again by x mph. What's he going to do when his speedometer is now off again by said figure? Is he going to sue BMW? Is he going to sue Garmin (Garmin just passes along the signal it gets from the satellites, it doesn't wield any control or influence over the satellite based GPS system)? What happens when or if he changes wheels or tires?

Am I the only one who understands how this person will be perpetually "chasing his tail"?

CRKrieger

No; you're just the only one left flogging the dead horse ... ;)

bcweir

Fine then, I will stop posting to this thread...

...and lets see if my thread continues to be the "last.":D

Colonel guest

No. It's not the last. This is not a pisxing contest. And as Paul Harvey says, and now , the rest of the story.
    My pal is officially stuck with a great new car with a speedo that is 7mph slow. What a dissapointment. As we all know, BMW and Mercedes are benchmarks and build machines that are great to drive. I find this unacceptable that corporate is pushing off cars into the marketplace that have such a flaw, so much for precison....... I would be upset too if I had purchased it, I just hope that they solve this problem. It is unfortunate that someone have this experience on their first purchase. I would be upset too.

CRKrieger

No; I think it is a contest, but it's not with us. It's you and your pal against BMW NA and AG. Good luck with that. We'll be having fun with our cars, regardless of what one instrument says ...:p

Pyewacket1

At the risk of fanning the flames here, I think I have to agree with you. If BMW was the only manufacturer with this issue, it would be noteworthy. But, I remember reading about this very issue with several other manufacturers.

Here is a good link to a Car and Driver article on the issue...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/02q2/speedometer_scandal!-feature

From the article...

The European regulation, ECE-R 39, is more concise, stating essentially that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70). Never low. Not even if somebody swaps a big set of 285/35R-18s for stock 255/45R-16s.

The poster stated the speedo is off by 7 MPH, but at what speed? If its running at 70 MPH true speed and the speedo is off by 7MPH, then its well within specifications.

Take it for whatever its worth.

az3579

Ditto. This really is a non-issue; if this is what your buddy is complaining about, he must be doing well in life.

sundevilruss

From BMW NA on Spedometer Error

I posed the same question to Mike Miller. Below is his reply. The referenced document is attached.

I'll address only the technical part of your letter, regarding BMW speedometer error:

Complaints about BMW speedometer error are common in my work for the Club as Roundel technical editor. They almost always come from engineers. Speedometer readings up to ten percent over actual road speed constitute normal vehicle function; the cars are actually designed this way and have been for decades. Reportedly, the reason has to do with European laws imposing penalties upon car manufacturers if one of their speedometers is ever shown to read lower than actual road speed.

We print a letter about it periodically in Tech Talk, but it's fairly common knowledge so we don't belabor the point. Please see the attached BMW service information bulletin.

Best regards,

Mike Miller
    BMW CCA Roundel Magazine Technical Editor
    techtalk@roundel.org
    auspuf2002@aol.com

Hope this helps.

bcweir

Is it OK to enjoy our cars now?

How can it be a pisxing contest if he's in the relative minority who is pisx'ing in the wind? That's a "sporting event" I'd prefer to skip, thank you. Heck I'm not even going to watch, let alone participate (I'd like to keep my pants urine-free, thank you). This is a problem keeping, what, THREE people awake at night?

Drink a glass of warm milk, take a sleep aid, (except if you're lactose intolerant) and let the rest of us enjoy our automobiles.
    I disagree - he may be doing "well" in life, but apparently he's not "well" :p if this is preventing him from sleeping -- or allowing the rest of us to enjoy our vehicles in peace. Maybe he's a lawyer with way too much time on his hands. Or maybe he's a millionaire/billionaire with too much money and far too little common sense. How do you turn a large fortune into a small one? Sue BMW for a problem that doesn't exist or not relevant for everyone else.

Straight from the "mouth of 'God.'" Don't worry, not you, Mr. Miller. I was referring to BMW, the maker of our automobiles, speedometers included. I think BMW has adequately explained the reason for this. I'm going to enjoy my 10-percent-plus-2.4 mph-FASTER-than-actual-speed automobile. Good enough for me.

granthr

If nothing else it helps prevent speeding tickets, which I am guessing is a problem for most of us. :D By the way I am out enjoying my car and not even looking at the speedometer, my eyes are firmly on that approaching corner! :D

E92Dreier

GOOD MAN!

APEX IT !

Hockeystyx

Right you are!

A few days after I bought the car, I went to my first meeting- and another member told me of this "Speedometer" thing. I really didn't believe it. I thought they simply couldn't import them in the US if they weren't legit, right?

Until yesterday. On my way to work, there were several speed traps in the pitch blackness. I thought I was doing at least 75... on the FIRST one. The second one, I had it toned down to 65- but the guy behind me was practically inspecting my tailpipes!

Couldn't figure out why he wasn't coming after me for the first trap... just chalked it up to 'Maybe he wasn't pointing it at me at the time' and breathed a sigh of relief...

Then I got to work and saw this thread- so YES!! THANK GOODNESS for the difference! :)

CRKrieger

I beg your pardon. THIS lawyer with "too much time on his hands" was the Oktoberfest autocross chair ... :p

bcweir

I wasn't talking about YOU, or the autocross chair, Krieger.

I was referring to the tiny number of, OCD, lawyer-prone individuals that want to make a federal case out of "10 percent plus 2.4 mph" speedometer readings.

That's the way to win the battle, Krieger -- fire at BOTH sides....

CRKrieger

ROFL! Keeps you on your toes ...

az3579

Crank old men. :D

Zahnarzt

Just for reference, mine is off by 3mph at 75mph, about 1.5mph at 30. To cruse at a "true" 75mph, I set the cruise control at 78. I've measured this with another car, avionics GPS, and those roadside radar machines around construction sites. Makes you wonder how accurate the MPG calculating is, but I've also checked that using a pencil and paper with mileage and actual pumped gallons for the past 74,000 miles, and the computer is about 98% accurate on the highway and about 94% with stop-and-go.

Zahnarzt

Ooo... I forgot about the old school Zeron I have in the closet somewhere. You know, the one with the heat sink on the back that will shock this *** out of you if you touch it!

ojhengen

Speedometer Reading

I suggest he take a long ride on the I-State and check it against the mile markers. As the mile markers aren't perfect either, he will need to track it for some time. My odo is almost spot on, so I could, and will check the speed against the indicated mileage and the markers. I just traded a 328 for a 335is and will get a good read on it when I head to SD in two weeks. My 328 odo was correct as well, but at 70mph the speedo was 2-3 slow. I just adjusted my speed accordingly. BTW, I read on CNN today that "estimates," not radar or other speed devices, are sufficient to ticket and convict in Ohio!? No appeal. Guess I won't be going through there any time soon. "Hey, your car looks like it could go fast. Here's a citation!"

Orv