Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Driver Side Seat

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by airbytkd, Jul 16, 2010.

airbytkd guest

I have a 325ix 1991 and am in need of a black heated seat. Anyone have one for sale or can point me where I can get one?

dogsbark26

Do you care if it is a sport seat for a coupe, or a comfort seat for a sedan? Driver side or passenger?
    Try e30tech.com classifieds.

dogsbark26

airbytkd guest

At this point I don't care. Tried that link and the item has been removed. I am needing a black driver side for a sedan. Heated if possible. My E30 325iX.

CRKrieger

Consider swapping the front seats side for side. Then, you can take your time either fixing the passenger seat or finding a replacement.

airbytkd guest

Will swapping seats work given that there are some seat controls on the outside which would put those controls on the inside?

CRKrieger

As long as there's clearance by the drive shaft tunnel. I've swapped E28 sport seats with the knee bolster switches on the side and they fit fine. I do not know if the E30 seats have as much clearance. I suspect they do.

airbytkd guest

Will this impact my airbag at all?

Zdaneman

?????

That doesn't even sound right, swaping drivers and passangers seats around. I don't think E30 has the clearance. Good luck.

CRKrieger

Regardless of how it sounds, the seats are identical except for controls locations. It is quite common in the E28 community to swap seats side for side. I've done it in every one of the five I've owned. That's why I'd bet they'll swap easily.

As for the airbag, how could it possibly make a difference? The E30 doesn't have any seat sensors, and it certainly doesn't have any side airbags mounted in the seats.

E92Dreier

+1

I helped convert one, and it was a process, but a manageable one.

I would also suggest simply swapping both out for a set of new seats -- there are plenty of salvage sets available, and there are even some nice Vaders (M3) and aftermarket seats that will be an improvement.

good luck

airbytkd guest

Everyone - Thanks for all the input.

I have been hunting around for salvage seats and not having a ton of luck. On the Vaders I have found several listing showing support for the 325i but not the 325iX. I have also heard they are a tight fit.

Thanks again.

az3579

Yes, they are a tight fit, and require special brackets to mount them. But, they are WORTH it!

MGarrison

There's always E30 sports seats on Ebay. Not necessarily heated though. Try searching "BMW seat", "BMW seats" or "Recaro BMW", and/or navigate to the Ebay Motors section listing car seats and search "BMW".

If you have any pick 'n pull auto-salvage yards, they might be worth a shot.

If you want to get really ambitious, you could try disassembling both seats to transfer the better upholstery on the passenger seat to the driver's seat. I've never tackled an E30 seat, but from other efforts, I can tell you it's no simple or easy task, and you could also end up with two seats apart that you can't put back together due to lack of specialized upholstery tools or experience. I think the way E30 sport seats are, the side-specific adjusting mechanisms are integrated into the frame, so I suspect it's not something where you could just pop-off an adjusting base and swap it to the other seat.

Swapping seats side to side is the quickest thing to try, and won't take long. If there was a timed competition, someone could probably pull both front seats out of any E30 in less than a minute.

airbytkd guest

Ok, you have me sold on this. What special mounting kit do I need and how tough of a job is this?

az3579

I don't know how tough a job it is, but I can tell you that I loved the Vaders when I took a veeeeeeeeeeeery long test drive of an E36 M3 (over the course of 5+ hours each way).

The brackets are custom made and sold by someone on Bimmerforums, though there may be others who sell it. Here is a link:

Click here

airbytkd guest

Fair Price?

I found a non sport seat for $225+$85s/h. Is this a fair price?

Thanks!

az3579

Absolutely not. You can get a pair of sport seats for that much.

airbytkd guest

Ok, thanks, I will keep looking.

airbytkd guest

Question

Found some 325is/318is sports seats. Does anyone know if they will fit into my 1991 325iX sedan? Also, does anyone know if E30 325i seats will fit into the same 325iX?