Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

clunking rear end

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by fast540, Jul 16, 2010.

fast540 guest

My e34 504i6 has a clunk in the rear end over small bumps at low speed,it sounds hollow.Ive replaced the exhaust and wiggle checked everything i could think of under the car,ive checked everything i coluld think of in the trunk under the rear seat ect.I'm really at wits end with this one.any suggestions?

Johan guest

I'd check the rear strut top mounts. Sounds like you may have one that is broken. Have you checked your diff. mounts?

Greg E34

I agree. I've had to replace mine twice in my E34 Touring.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You should also check the rear subframe mounts. Many of them are toast by now.

Wagon Boy guest

My rear Dog Bones (Pitman Arms) were bad and it was almost exactly as you describe. They were only about a year old. Maybe they were damaged by something but they creaked and groaned over small bumps. I was ready to change the A-Arm bushings but put my hand on them while jacking the wheel with the car on jack stands and felt the vibrations. Good luck!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Did you use aftermarket dogbones? Those are junk.

Wagon Boy guest

Bad dog bones:

I can't remember where I got the first replacements. I got the second replacements from North Side Imports, the parts place in Lincolnwood.