Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW buying car back?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Lori S, Apr 12, 2008.

wilylon guest

mr.bill

I just brought my 08 335 convertible in to get the hardtop roof repaired. It does'nt meet evenly on to the windshield,[ driver's side is up higher than the passenger when you attempt to close the roof] So far, they don't know the cause. Any suggestions?? Help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

BMWCCA1

I suspect a minor adjustment. It may be that the dealer just doesn't yet have much familiarity with retractable hard-top repairs. I'm sure they've had a tech at school for it but probably haven't had much opportunity for hands-on experience. If they can't get it sorted out they'll get help from BMW or maybe even a visit from the regional technical field team. I'm sure they'll get you straight. What a great car you got! Two of my BMW convertibles turn 38-years-old this year, two turn 44, and one will be 51. Seems like only yesterday . . .

[IMG]

wilylon guest

Thanks for the reply. You're probably right, and yes, it is a fantastic car. Sometimes it's easy to get a little paranoid when you read about other's people's problems with the new conv. roof .Nice picture!!.., although I'm not sure of the model ..thanks again.

Lori S guest

Make sure you document every time you take your car in.
    The roof not fitting properly seems to be a hard thing to miss.
    Do you think the problem happened in transit?

Lori

BMWCCA1

It's a 1964 BMW 700S Cabriolet. A Michelotti design. The 700 is the car that saved BMW. Long story but believe me you owe the very existence of BMW today as an independent vehicle manufacturer to the success of the 700. :)

wilylon guest

Thanks for the reply, MicStand..I've had the car since january of '08, so this is a new problem, [ just happened today] ..outside of this , the car's been o.k.,,the only other periodic problem is when you use the control to close all the windows ,the front passenger side opens on it's own after being closed...

wilylon guest

Very cool..I've been a member , on and off for about 20 years...I've previously owned an '86 745i, [ euro ], 87 535is, and a 80 528i...it's always great to learn more about our cars and thier history..Thanks

ripster guest

deja ve' all over again

Hey Wilylon, I had much the same problems on my "lemon" I took receipt of my 08, 335 drop top in Nov. 07, from day one, the windows would drop at the end of the cycle when raising or lowering the top, different windows would drop differently on different occasions, didn't make rymne nor reason as to when it would happen, next the top would not close properly. When closing the top, at the end of the cycle, the indicator light on the center console would remain red, indicating the cycle hadn't finished. Same thing would happen when the top would cycle down, the red light would stay on. When the light would glow red, the windows would not operate, up or down. My advisor tried everything to fix the top, all the way to the point of wanting to completely remove and reinstall the top. After one final desperate attempt, they finally fixed the top. Unfortunately the mysterious magical window problem was never cured, hence the "lemon". BMW had my car a total of over 56 days spread over 18 visits to the shop for these 2 problems. In my state, the law is clear, had I gone to court, I would have won the case under lemon law statues....BMWNA is very smart, before it got to the point of court, the sales manager called saying they needed to put me in a new car, they did not have an equivalent car,so one was ordered. Here is where they are smart. Had I gone to court, the law says, it is my choice, either I get an equal or better car, OR I GET A FULL REFUND AND WALK AWAY FROM THE LEMON. AND ALL MONEY RETURNED. Now with BMWNA "stepping up" and volunteering to replace my car, the "lemon" does not aquire the tag of "lemon" meaning there is no record of the problems and the title does not have "lemon" stamped on it. PRETTY TRICKY, don't you think? they are now free to unload the car while keeping me locked into my lease. Don't get me wrong, I am not bitter about LEMONS, (sorry, I couldn't resist that one) BMW did do right by me, they changed the terms of my lease and gave me over $600.00 in extras, the thing is, in the middle of this fiasco, I was offered and have accepted a position in the Grand Cayman Islands, meaning I now have a brand new drop top, with 150 miles on it, that at the end of my 2 yr. lease, will probably have 1000 miles total...not even gonna hit the 1200 mile, under 4000rpm break in period. Only good part is that the buy out at lease end is $38,000. Not a bad price for a "new, used car" salesman says the car with 1000 miles will probably sell for close to 50 g's. Sorry for the length of the thread, but seemed kind of funny that you have had the same problem, hope you the same luck I had, but keep track of time that you are out of vehicle and check your states lemon laws. By the way, my salesman told me the problem is that when they ship the cars, the computer or some system in the car is put in "transport mode" and when initalized at the processing centers sometimes car will not revert to normal....don't know if that part is true, maybe someone else has heard something,

anyway goodluck, and....

see ya in the left lane.

R

wilylon guest

Thanks for the info....that's quite a story...I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer...they told me yesterday that some of the tech's looked at it, and were baffled by the roof not coming down evenly...my window problem is not quite as severs as yours was....once every 3-4 times when I engaged the power window switch to close all the windows at once , the pass. side would come down by itself ..after I had already closed the roof...what's aggravating me right now is the dealer says they have no loaners, so they want to send me to enterprise ...I 'm just trying to stay optomistic ....

ripster guest

definitly stay optomistic

I think keeping a positive attitude and being optimistic is the smart way to treat your dealer. My advisor told me on the side, that when customers come in acting like a...holes, that management will do the mimimum that needs to be done. Period. And threats of court or lawsuit or ....whatever, will only cause them to refer to lawyers. Not sure how true it is, but being optimistic and understanding got me a new car, at a much better price and deal...Good luck