Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Metal water pump pulley???

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by rsvedell, Jul 10, 2010.

rsvedell

Does anybody make a replacment metal water pump pulley for the E38 to replace the failure prone plastic pulley?

ChrisV

Do you mean pully, or impeller? the pulley (the part the belt runs on) should already be metal, it's the impeller internal to the water pump (that actually moves the water) that is plastic.

And yes, there are a few available. Best one is from Graf. One great source that really supports the E38 community is oembimmerparts.com. That's where I got my water pump, and it's been great. Max there is a great asset to the community.

SuperBimmer guest

We use the Graf water pumps here at the shop.

rsvedell

Water pump pulley

Let me explain. The ribbed water pump pulley on my E38 is plastic and not metal. Does anybody make a metal replacement ribbed pulley?

rsvedell

Metal water pump pulley?

The ribbed water pump pulley on my E38 is plastic and not metal. Does anybody make a metal replacement ribbed pulley?

ChrisV

Same place I linked you to in my previous post. My OEM pulley is metal, as far as I know. And it's original at 180k miles.

I've never heard of a pulley failing on any E38.