Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The new 335is - worth the extra money?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by rbindc, Jul 10, 2010.

rbindc

I just priced out a 335is and compared it with a 335i with the M package. The 335is costs $4000 more and includes the following options not available on the 335i:

1. Additional oil and water coolers

2. Performance tune (extra 20 hp; slightly more torque)

3. Sports exhaust system

4. Minor cosmetic items (black exhaust tips, black grill, no fog lights, distinctive badges)

5. Slightly different spoke pattern on the 18" wheels compared to M wheels.

Frankly, I don't see $4000 in added value. A Dynan tune and heavy duty oil cooler would accomplish more for less.

What am I missing?

Zeichen311

Resale value. The unique model designation will always carry a premium, however small that may someday be. In most circumstances, aftermarket performance mods (even Dinan) are worth practically zero, unless you have the patience to hold out for the tiny market segment that actually understands them.

equ

The 335is is n54, is the 335i n55 now? Or are all coupes still n54 and sedans n55? Bmw continues to befuddle.

Zeichen311

The 's' models continue with the N54 because the higher-output tune is based on BMW's long experience with that engine. Everything else has moved to the N55.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

335is or Dinan 335i S3?

For what you get in the is, the $4000 premium does not seem outrageous. Dinan exhaust is around Two Large, is it not? And the 335is exhaust is roartier. (How's that for an adjective?!) The Dinan oil cooler---which may be overkill!---is not cheap, either. Then let the Dinan elves connect they laptops and zap your CPU, and---well, it should be faster than a 335is, but it's certainly not going to be any cheaper!

Plus the wheels on the is are way bitchin'. So are Dinan wheels, of course---but now we're talking about ANOTHER $4000!

Oh, to have such a dilemma!

ForcedInduction guest

^^^^^^ I believe this is called rationalizing? ;)

345861 guest

I just ordered a 335is/DCT at $500 over invoice through the Costco Auto program. Saved me that $4.2K right away!

rbindc

Now this message alone is enough to justify my membership fee! What was the MSRP and the invoice price?

fshubert

If BMW offered an E90 335is I woulda grabbed it......

railroader guest

Let's see-- megacount bathroom tissue packages, nice red wild ocean-raised fishes, and top-o-the-line bitchin' BMWs...what's not to like about our Costco memberships!?;)
    Just sayin'!:)

Rennsport1

Nice! I may go that route next time:)

345861 guest

Just picked it up yesterday! Yahoo!!!

MSRP = $62,825
    Invoice = $58,308
    + $500 = $58,800

1 series are $300 over invoice.
    3 series are $500 over invoice. Not sure this applies to the M3 but if you're in the market for one (I was not), it's worth investigating!