Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The best car

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Tahoe, Jul 7, 2010.

Tahoe guest

alstroberg guest

why sell it?

It's paid for by now, it is in good shape & you'll need something to do in retirement. Sell your other cars.

Shawn Schroer guest

Great looking car! Also my favorite 5 series. But by all means, retire in style...we'll only let you sell it if you're getting another bimmer....:)

Congratulations on your retirement...!

Bumer guest

My wife will kill me if I buy another car :)

Congratulations on your retirement!

az3579

He's got an E30 iX as well (the car in his avatar). :)

Tahoe guest

Thanks for the congratulations. I'll see how it works out. I so love that 540 but I just can't justify keeping it and I am having fun building the iX. I also just bought an F650GS to ride in the summer. That's a blast as well.

Tahoe guest

My wife offered to sell her almost new Rav 4 and use the iX so that I can keep the 540 but that's just not a practical solution. Great wife.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What, are you mad?!

It's not a practical solution? YOUR WIFE SAYS YOU CAN KEEP BOTH BMWS AND YOU SAY IT'S NOT A PRACTICAL SOLUTION?!

Mannnn! Some people would bitch if you hung 'em with a brand-new rope!

granthr

I agree, keep them both!!!!!!!! I've got four. :)

x888jmo

The E39 540 Sport is the best car I've ever owned. Style, comfort, power, driving experience are all fantastic! I bought my '02 as a CPO in '05 with 41k miles. Now have 116K and still love it. Began following Mike Miller's "Old School" maintenance schedule as I plan to will this car to me son (only after I'm dead or they take the keys away!).

I've added a Dinan short-shifter and an AFE cold air intake as the only customizations... hard to improve on near perfection.

Only problem I have now is what I thought was the A/C. Turned out the axillary fan failed which causes the a/c system to heat-up during city driving to the point the coolant pressure relief valve pops and you lose 70% of the refrigerant. Fan failure does not log a code in the diagnostic system so it was tough to identify. Had a new aux fan installed by BMW and everything works great but the fan is obnoxiously noisy when running! Took it back to the dealer but was told that it is "normal", new fans are much louder. Anyone else experience this?

Anyway, Love the car and would not trade it for the world (well might consider an E39 M5).

Keep the bimmers! :D