Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Noise in rear driver side 2000 M Roadster

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by kperess, Jul 2, 2010.

kperess

I replaced all four shocks last year with Konis. Also replaced the rear caps above the shocks. Just recently I am hearing a rattle/metallic type of sound when I hit a bump in the road. Sometimes soft, sometimes loud but it is pretty consistent.

Put it up on lift and the only thing that was loose was a hose of some sort that had a plastic clip on holder that went into a unit next to the rear end unit (sorry about my terms am not that technical). The noise stopped for a bit but started up again -- have to check the hose again if it is loose. However, it does not seem logical that a rubber hose would make that kind of noise.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Any thing I can do to check on the noise?

lcjhnsn

hmmmm... very tough call without hearing the noise for ourselves or having a look.

What brand rear shock mounts (caps?) did you use? How about a picture of the "hose" that you re-secured?

Finally, where are you located?

kperess

First off, thanks for both this reply and the one about my instrument lights. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan -- not many BMWs here much less Ms.

I'll have to check my records on the caps. One of my colleagues (owns a Z4) helped me research the matter and he sent along a recommendation for an aftermarket replacement that was tougher/better than the OEMs which apparently didn't hold up. Getting a picture of the hose may be problematic -- will need to get it up on the lift again and send it along. Or, If I can get access to a parts diagram, I can identitfy it. Will get back soon.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Ken
    • Staff

steven s

This is a wild shot, but pull on the e-brake when you hear the noise.
    The 318ti had a similar problem caused by the e-brake cable,

kperess

Took the M to my local mechanic. Nothing loose in the suspension, exhaust, tie rods, etc. However, he used silicon on all of the rubber mounts and the noise appears to have stopped. We suspect that the problem may be a rubber part at the top of one of the posts that attaches the body to the frame -- oy. If I need to replace that sucker I imagine that the labor costs may be rather dear.

The hose that was slipping appears to be something that addresses evaporator issues.

We checked the emergency brake and it was not loose. We'll see if the latest effort does anything or if the noise returns.

Again thanks for the responses.

Ken

kperess

Finally got the noise addressed. Apparently a few of the bolts in the shock assembly were slightly loose. Since they were tightened the noise is gone :)

railroader guest

Always good to have a "happy ending" to these usually hard to solve noise issues...
    Enjoy your new smooth ride, Ken! The Konis must be a nice improvement, too.:)