Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Gear Shift Knob

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by leland, Jun 30, 2010.

leland

2001 E39 MSport 6 speed. The gear shift knob will not stoy on. The nylon insert is broken. I don't mind buying another knob but I'm concerned about how it fits. I don't see what actually keeps it on other than just a tight fit on the shift rod or possibly the groove in the top of the shifter. Anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks,

Zeichen311

Internal tabs in the knob snap into the groove around the shifter rod. It's a pretty firm fit, so the more the knob is removed and replaced, the more likely the tab(s) will snap.

tiFreak

^what he said, also the groove in the top of the rod just keeps the knob centered

fast540 guest

if you buy a short weighted shift knob you will not only cure the lose knob poblem but will get firmer shifts

chicane

This ^. I would recommend switching to the ZHP knob. It is very attractive and it is shorter. The ZHP knob is the next best thing to a short shift kit. To install I either use a dry wash cloth to protect the knob and then a firm tap with a rubber mallet, or the palm of my hand.