Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

hello everyone

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by eightynine535, Apr 12, 2008.

eightynine535 guest

New to this site and just wanted to introduce myself.

I live in New York and own a black on black 1989 535i auto with 170K that i am slowly restoring/upgrading. are there an tech articles on this site I should check out?

jose4261 guest

HELLO EIGHTYNINE 535 I AM ALSO NEW TO THE SITE I HAVE A 1990 525I I AM RESTORING/UPGRADING TRY THIS SITE THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS YOU CAN DO http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Euro_light.htm HOPE THIS HELPS LET ME KNOW IF YOU DID ANY THING TO IT I WILL DO SAME THANKS AND TAKE CARE

supertech777 guest

hi every one I am new to this forum and just bought my first 1995 bmw 525i with 117k on it I was wondering if I could have my car inspected with a regular fast lube change and cooling system flush , would they know to bleed the system for air pockets so it wont over heat on me the car runs perfect right now but I am afraid if I took it to a certified bmw shop I might end up paying to much all sugestions will sure be appriciated thank's my name is Noel....

Autohaus guest

Noel, I wouldn't bring your car to a quicky lube joint. Also, the coolant needs to be changed only with BWM coolant mixed with water 50/50. Other coolant(s) use phosphates (not sure if that is spelled correctly) that will eventually cause overheating in the long run. Try to find an independent BMW repair shop at Bimrs.org or look up in your yellow pages. You may have to pay more than the local quicky lube place, but it will be well worth it. Remember, those quicky lube places have 18 year old kids working on all types of cars with no experience. Would you rather have a bmw experienced tech work on your car, or the high school dropout who has only changed oil on his old Nissan?

morea3ic guest

Welcome!

Welcome to the site.

Jump right in, the waters fine.

Best.

Gatsby740iL guest

Welcome, 'Super' and 'Eighty', To The BMW CCA!

You have certainly come to the right place for everything BMW! My Fellow Members and Staff are always here to answer your questions, share a story or two, and enjoy the passion we all have that is BMW.

I would also recomend Real OEM (BMW)-Click Here as an excellent source of schematics and parts list breakdowns for your BMW. If there is something you need to order.. you can pull the OEM part number here and order it up at either your local BMW Center (Dealership) or, for example, Pelican Parts-Click Here.

If anything comes up don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck and Best Wishes!

-Michael
    (Gatsby740iL) :cool:

eightynine535 guest

thank you for your responses but I know all those sites you left links to and use them very often. what I really wanted were tech articles that originate on this website.

Gatsby740iL guest

Certainly.. Right here on our Forums.. have a look at the Tech Talk (Click This) section and if there's anything not covered.. please ask or simply post in the desired forum!

and in regards to your question:
    If you do take it to a garage to have the flush and fill done.. I would certainly hope they would know to bleed the system. However... you could say, "Don't Forget To Bleed The System... there on the Thermostat Housing" and take that right out of the equation!

It's actually a very simple operation to DIY at home. I would recommend picking up the pre-mix fluid from the Dealership then (when you get home and after the car has cooled down) simply drain out the old fluid into a large drain pan, take your garden hose and, gently (with the drain plug/lower heater hose removed) spray into the radiator a bit.. which isn't "required" but up to you. Reattach the drain plug/heater hose, fill up the radiator with the new fluid, then (with the motor started and running) put the heat on high-which will cause the Thermostat to open faster-, and after a few minutes, open the bleader screw on the Thermostat Housing until you see solid coolant running out (no bubbles). It's also perfectly fine to open the radiator when the vehicle is running as the fluid is running through the system and won't be pressurized.. you can do this to check the level and make sure it's full. Then.. close her up.. and you're all set!

Hope this helps and, of course, if anything comes up, don't hesitate to ask! Good Luck!

-Michael
    (Gatsby740iL) :cool:

willrace4beer guest

Hello everyone. I've recently purchased a '91 e34m5 that is having the engine rebuilt by a friend that owns an independent BMW repair shop. I'm doing some research to try to determine the benefits of changing some parts while the engine is apart. So far, the Shrick cams seem to be popular. I've read that changing to a new, or modified, exhaust cam pulley with, or without new cams, is beneficial. Also, I've decided to upgrade to the newer cam chain tensioner. Any advice would be helpful.

The car has some Dinan parts on it, including the rear suspension conversion to Bilstein shocks.