Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Mystery Car

Discussion in 'E21 (1977-1983)' started by 296990, Jun 21, 2010.

296990 guest

I was just wondering if anyone here could help me out with a 3 series model question.

I found this Hartge edition three series near my grandparents house and I can't tell if it was a Hartge Special Edition or if someone just went nuts with mods. All I know is the car was purchased in Germany and it is a convertible with a roll hoop behind the front seats.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

tiFreak

looks like it's got a Baur convertible conversion, not sure if you could get a Baur and Hartge package together

shame to see it so neglected though, someone should buy it, clean it up and smash those headlights :p

MGarrison

Ya, looks like a Bauer conversion, the only convertible option back in those days, and Euro-only at that - so, either a gray-market import or a Canadian car. E21 323i with a early 2.3l baby M20 motor, with an individual throttle body setup, and intake. Because of the pinstripe, fender flares, and the throttle-body/intake, I'm gonna guess that's looking like a genuine Hartge, as opposed to someone just throwing some Hartge bits on the car like the wheels, steering wheel, and shocktower brace. If it came out of Hartge in Germany though, I wonder if there wouldn't be some sort of official Hartge plaque somewhere underhood or doors, door jambs, dash, or somewhere. The clips on the intake manifold are different, would be interesting to see what it looks like w/ that cover off and opened up.

The stereo looks like it was nicely integrated (and expensive, for the times), so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the original conversion. Wonder if it has a/c, behind that is where the internal a/c stuff would have gone. I remember when those rectangular headlight conversions were around - they look just as bad now as they did then. IF that thing runs AND it isn't rusted out (or rusty, for that matter), it might be a hoot to drive. Beware of snap oversteer due to lift-throttle, or trailing throttle - E21's require knowing how to drive properly if you want to keep it under control at speed, particularly when nearing limits in turns.

That's a unique BMW, these days - you _never_ see E21's around, they've almost all died or rusted out!

No power steering, so parallel parking takes effort, but the steering feel and instant response of unboosted rack & pinion is great. My E21 was a maintenance hog, but it was fun-to-drive. I found the only way to keep the front from shimmying was on-the-car wheel balancing. If you take off a wheel, you have to put it back on with the same bolt-holes lined up as when you took it off, if you balance wheels that way.

Might be a fun toy to have - I wouldn't drive it in winters tho, not if you want it to lastl 320i's are prone to rust -

Cool find, thanks for sharing the pics! Are they selling it?

granthr

You need to buy this car and save it!!!!!!! No need to restore it, just clean it up and do the required maintenance. Then you will have a unique and great weekend driver. (This assumes the motor runs). I would also swap out those headlights for the originals. Why did everyone in the late 70s and early 80s feel it was so important to have square headlights? Maybe to answer my own question, after 80 years of round headlights people wanted something different. :confused:

CRKrieger

If it's not a Hartge, someone did a very thorough job of adding all the Hartge stuff.

The grille w/lights is a Hella conversion. I'm not crazy about 'em, either, but they are a period appropriate accessory. You didn't get a good 'butt shot' that would be where they put the Hartge model badge. You might find something using the VIN (or at least the last 7 digits).

E92Dreier

I second the idea of submitting a query on the VIN -- a friendly dealer might be willing to run the number for you and provide you with its original build sheet.

eam3

I second that. Other than the side marker lights, which appear to have come from later models (E36?) and the goofy 1980s square light conversion, it looks like the genuine item.

Brian A

I think they are cool in a weird sort of way. Can you get square "angel eye" halos for them?

296990 guest

Yes it is for sale for the right price and I am definitely thinking about it. That's a good idea about the VIN. I will try to get that and see what I can dig up.

Yes sorry for no picture of the rear end, my time with it was brief. So I don't even know what the badge says on the back or if it has and markings. The guy was telling me it has never been driven in the winter and that it has been sitting in that shed for about 15 years now. It will take some going through but I did not notice and body rust or anything detrimental.

I appreciate the help guys.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

The side markers were possibly added for federalization.
    It looks like it has downdraft carbs, which would make more sense than ITBs on a car of that vintage. Actually, I just zoomed in on the pic and they say Weber on the side, so carbs for sure. Those will likely need to be thoroughly cleaned before it will run properly. Also, I wouldn't even attempt to turn it over without replacing the timing belt!

tiFreak

probably would want to drain the 15 year old gas out of the tank and possibly replace the whole tank, no point in rebuilding the carbs just to destroy them with rust particles ;)

Jdetente guest

If this a Baur there should be a Baur plate with a number. Also, I would suggest getting in touch with Jeroen who runs the Baur registry. He's located in the Netherlands and could help you determine what this car really is. I believe there are conversions done that were not Baurs. Still he can help.
    http://www.bmwbaurtc.nl/

Jdetente guest

Did you end up buying this car? It'd be interesting to see the history of this car and if it's a legitimate Hartge or Baur.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Didja? Didja?

Yeah, what he said. . .

296990 guest

not yet, I head back home this summer where the car is and I plan on making a serious offer.