Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Diesel Oil

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by echima, Jun 18, 2010.

echima

After a recent oil change I drove 4 miles home. Checked the dipstick, and the oil is black. Dealer says diesel oil looks dirty right away. Something doesn't make sense here. Any help?
    Ed
    '09 335d
    '03 325xi
    '89 325ix
    '72 tii

granthr

Whoa! The new diesels have dip sticks!!!! :eek: Why on this motor and not others?

Yes, I am not surprised the oil is black already. This has been my experience with diesel VWs and Mercedes-Benz diesels over the years. It is never clear like on a gasoline motor, even right after an oil change. I know it is disheartening, but that is diesel for you.

Hey it makes it easy to read the dip stick! :D

railroader guest

Very interesting, echima-- I will report back here after my first OC happening later this month for my 335d. I will make sure the exact specified oil goes in, which is--->Castrol SLX 5W-30 with a rating of SL/CF. This oil when new is nice and golden-colored like honey-- surely we should have at least a few miles of the oil looking clean on our dipsticks, before the black starts? I know, I know-- diesels run a lot more "particulate matter" in their oils, but maybe your oil change guys didn't get it all out or something? Hard to say; I can see why you wish it looked a bit cleaner.

Right Granthr- we've got "sticks." I'm glad- my previous Bimmer (328i standard) of course just had the electronic level gauge. It's interesting that the "d" car will also inform oil electronically- but does not have the "graduated" gauge in the dash (well, not on mine anyway.) I wish it did. Still, the advantages of a old-school 'stick' are that you can see, check and smell your oil-- something that even the 100K Bimmers cannot do; on the 7's etc.

Later guys- will report back after my first change this month.:) The car is still knocking me out with it's excellent-ness!:D Took my neighbor for a country ride in it yesterday and it neatly knocked his sox right off, thank you!;)

tsmtdi guest

i would not worry about it

because of the high compression, diesels experience blowby

so it darkens the oil alot faster than gasoline engines

sc1523

railroader; Wherw do you find SLX in the USA?

floydarogers

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

Is also LL-04, appears to be another choice, appears to be at Pep Boys.

railroader guest

I've only seen it at my actual BMW Center parts dept. They try to retail the stuff at something like $12 a quart which is highway robbery, of course. But oddly enough, when they quoted me the full change (customer option/not covered by BMW maintenance plan) the whole cost including labor and filter was just a little over 100 bucks. So in that case the per qt. price seems a little lower. I'm gonna have the first change soon- around the 5K mark. Then the next one will be the complimentary at the one year point, no matter what my miles are. Prolly round 7,500 or so...I am retired and not a hi-mile guy...

lkchris

ALL diesels blacken their oil, usually in less than a minute following an oil change.

I recently bought my first new diesel (GL320CDI) and in that engine the oil remained not black for maybe 1000 miles, which was a bit surprising. Of course any oil change NEVER removes all previous oil, so ... .

Yes, it's the blowby.

And remember, color of motor oil is ALWAYS MEANINGLESS in any event.

Finally ( to be a bit anal) with diesels "diesel oil" usually refers to the fuel, so the thread title should really be "motor oil in diesels."

railroader guest

+1 and roger that, lkchris! I tell people I have an "oil-burning car" and smile, then clarify what I'm talking about. And during my working days my train engines (we actually call them "units") burned oil too. Don't think it was "ULSD" rated, though-- probably had a bit more sulfur in that stuff! And no DEF required either.

ForcedInduction guest

VW Dealers have been selling the Castrol SLX Professional 5W-30 for several years. You may want to check the local VW parts depts.?

ECS Tuning.com also sells it.

BIMMIR guest

floydarogers

Scott

swingwing

Recommend new Amsoil 5W-30 European Car Formula. Meets BMW LL04, VW 504/507, MB 229.31.

floydarogers

I'm a little low on oil - not sure I'm going to make it the 2800 miles to my next change before I need to add a quart.

I just stopped by the nearest VW dealer - they sell Castrol SLX 5W-30 for $8.09 per liter. It's ACEA A3/B4 C3, which is the same ACEA standard that BMW uses. Seems like BMW might have a slightly different additive package since it's not LL04 (is LL03). But it is low-ash and should work fine, especially if you just need to top off.

swingwing

Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 meets VW 504/507, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, Porsche C30.

Retail cost $9.85 per quart (single quart) or $9.75 per quart (case of 12) less tax and shipping.

Wholesale cost using Preferred Customer program is $7.60 (single qt) or $7.21 (case), less tax and ship.

Send pm if interested.

floydarogers

Please view this as a thread in the browser - you've already spammed this thread with a previous advert; no need to do it again.

Scott

lkchris

Yes, a gasoline Mercedes motor is numbered Mxxx and a diesel motor is OMxxx.

O for oil (Öl).

captharley guest

AMSOIL does not have an oil recommended for the 2011 X5 35d on their website.

If I substitute 2010 for 2011, the European Car Formula does come up. :confused::confused: