Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Jun 17, 2010.

Michgndr89

I have learned to appreciate life without an electronic leash...regardless of the platform.

Uber-capable phones are a millstone I can do without.

Bumer guest

Mine is in Specks case, so I really don't touch it, may be that's why I don't have this problem.

Agreed. I always thought that it was outrageous to pay $30 / months extra for iPhone. I was asking myself, what could be so special about this phone that would make me part with $30 each month?

Got one couple months ago... F#$K, I was kicking myself for not getting it sooner. This thing is awesome!

tcoke

Ordered my iPhone 4 on-line and, like most people, it will ship around July 14th.

Bigger question is will it work properly with the BMW iPod / iPhone adapter? I have a 2009 335i sedan with all the options, inclduing navigation and the iPhone adapter to play music in the car. My wife has an iPhone 3GS and hers will play music okay in the car but it will not charge. I currently have the iPhone 3G and it charges fine when connected to the factory supplies "y" cable. I have heard of many BMW owners experiencing similar charging problems with the newer iPhones. I'm preparing myself to be disappointed when the new iPhoine comes in and likely will not charge in the car when connected.

az3579

Regarding the charging issue, I would give the Scosche Passport [spelling correct] adapter a try. My car's head unit (aftermarket Alpine iDA-X300) used to charge (and play) my first-gen iPod Touch when I had it just fine. Then I got an iPhone 3G and it didn't charge it but it still played music from it. I got this adapter, and voila, it played AND charged!

Pyewacket1

Seems that the issue with the phone reception is growing...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/30/leaked.apple.docs.mashable/index.html?hpt=T2

az3579

That's because it's a design flaw, one I'm sure has made it into EVERY iPhone 4.
    Only a matter of time before the majority of users that don't use cases, get ****ed.

My friend just bought one, KNOWING this, but he bought it anyway.

I'm tellin' ya, people would buy a pile of dung if it had a shiny Apple logo on it.
    (not that I'm saying Apple products are a pile of dung; they're all GREAT products, just saying that Apple has its customers by the bawlz)

alstroberg guest

shiny dung piles...

"I'm tellin' ya, people would buy a pile of dung if it had a shiny Apple logo on it.
    (not that I'm saying Apple products are a pile of dung; they're all GREAT products, just saying that Apple has its customers by the bawlz)[/QUOTE]"

Some say you cold substitute " BMW" for "Apple" in that sentence and it's still valid.

Pyewacket1

"

Some say you cold substitute " BMW" for "Apple" in that sentence and it's still valid.[/QUOTE]

Every, and I mean EVERY company that is an industry leader makes a lemon now and then.

However, one can discern the great companies by how they respond to their problems. The 1982 Tylenol recall pretty much remains as the "gold standard" of resolving problems and the perceptions those problems create.

Simply telling your customers "You're stupid" isn't a very effective way to deal with such issues... at least, IMO.

Oh, just for the record, I have several Apple products, and the ones I have are great devices.

Michgndr89

I just heard the new iPhone4 is being sold with a pair of free Twilight tickets. Because if you can combine an Apple logo with a vampire, you are so in.

az3579

Normally I would agree with you, as BMW does make some "useless" (in my eyes) products (550i GT for example - what's wrong with a normal touring with more seats and better looks?), but not quite just "anybody" buys a BMW. Those who can afford it buy one; for Apple, even those who can't afford an Apple product buy them, because they're so obsessed with their productsso much that they'll find a way to get the money.

Who the heck has $500 or so for an iPad? And for what, a device that brings NOTHING new to the table? Yet people are buying them left and right.

Pyewacket1

Don't know about that, but the Apple spin machine appears to be shifting into overdrive.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/02/apple.iphone.apology/index.html?hpt=T2

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/02/technology/iphone_update/index.htm?hpt=T2

Seems Jobs finally started realizing that telling his customers that they were stupid wasn't really all that good for business, after all...

epbrown01

I'll field this one: if you don't need a full-on laptop, the iPad has some advantages. For me the big selling points were the light weight, the 10-hour battery life, and the cheap unlimited data plan. My previous laptop was a Sony TZ-150. Ran about $1500 new, 4-5 hour battery life, unlimited data plan was $70/month. Based on my needs and usage patterns, the iPad is a better fit.

That said, I'm discovering a lot of people bought it on a whim, without researching it, and are surprised and disappointed at its well-publicized limitations. :rolleyes:

Michgndr89

Who woulda thunk, huh?

tiFreak

az3579

Pyewacket1

• Staff

steven s

I've been an Apple fan since the Lisa. Still sticking with my 'Droid, even if and when Verizon offers iPhones.

And all this time I though Microsoft was going to rule the world.
    Now it's between Google and Apple.
    Who would have thunk?

Nice one. :)

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

Bugatti Veyron

On a random note, check out this pic of a Bugatti Veyron I took on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills...Thought you guys might appreciate it.

az3579

You'd think a supercar of that caliber would have better looking wheels; and chrome?! Eww!