Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPhone Charging Problems

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by tcoke, Jun 3, 2010.

tcoke

I have a 2009 335i sedan with a July 2009 build date. The car was ordered with the iPhone / iPod adapter option and "Y" cable from the factory. It charges my iPhone 3G with no problems, however my wife has an iPhone 3Gs and it will not charge her phone. It will play music and all other functions work but no charging. The phone comes up with a message that the phone is not compatable with the device for charging. I have heard that other BMW owners have experienced the same problem. Was wondering if any club members have experienced the same problem. Again the car will charge the 1st generation iPhone as well as the iPhone 3G just not the iPhone 3Gs, by using the factory supploed "Y" cable that plugs into the center console.

Will likely contact BMW and see if there is a service bulletin on this issue or some type of solution.

Bumer guest

I don't think it's BMW issue, but rather iPhone issue. As Apple introduces new technical marvels like new iPod touch and new generation iPhone, they make it partially incompatible with older gadgets. They will still play the music, but they will not charge it.

I have couple dock stations at home, couple car cables/chargers, and none of them will charge newer iPhod touch or iPhone 3GS.

rspeser

I had a 528i for a loaner recently and it charged and played music through the USB connection for my 3Gs. A pop up screen comes up on the phone that says the device is not compatible with the iPhone and do you want to turn on Airplane Mode, just select NO and the device should work normally.

espcane

1 people like this.

bimmertech guest

The iPhone 3gs will not charge via the y-cable due to a change in charging protocol instituted by Apple. Unfortunately, there is not an update available. There is an sib that that explains the issue, but I can't remember the number off hand.

tcoke

Thanks for the responses. You are correct that Apple keeps changing their protocols for charging which makes old charging devices useless which is frustrating. Since BMW was one of the first car companies to come out with the ability to play your iPod / iPhone in your car, I can only hope they will make an adjustment on their side going forward to ensure compabaility with the iPhone 3Gs as it relates to charging.

M3Driver guest

Agreed. I had the same problem with my 4 Gen iPOD nano. This fixed the problem. The local Apple Store sells them.

Cheers.

ddarley guest