Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

MT and Diff Oil Change

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bfriesen, Apr 10, 2008.

bfriesen guest

Hey guys,

I am going to change out my MT and DIFF oil this week. Exactly which Redline fluid should I buy and how much? As my username would suggest, I have a 2004 E46 330ci. Thanks!

330indy1

Redline

MTF for gearbox
    75-90 gear oil for the diff.
    not sure of exactly how much you need. Call BavAuto for this info. Plus, they'll sell it to you.

www.bavauto.com

snikwad guest

The diff used like 0.96l when I did my E46. Basically 1 bottle for the diff.
    Iirc, all the E46 cars use the same amount except for the M3. In the diff, that is.

GregS_WI guest

Don't forget new seal rings

You need to replace the seal rings whenever you open the plugs (they are good for one 'crushing'). Also, have a good torque wrench and torque to specs!

snikwad guest

so are you saying if i just drain and fill my diff, i should be replacing the seals?

GregS_WI guest

Yes, but specifically...

Yes, but specifically the ones for the drain and fill plugs. One could call them 'washers' or even 'crush washers'. Sorry, I didn't mean the seals for the drive or half shafts...

bfriesen guest

I called the guys at Redline and they are telling me to use D4-ATF because I have a "yellow label" transmission. I assume that's different from the MTL mentioned above. Now what?

330indy1

can you get them to explain that?

they are different

bfriesen guest

I guess the "yellow label" is the BMW sticker warning you not to change the fluid b/c it's a lifetime fill. I have seen other posts on forums where the owner uses D4-ATF.

EuroWerkz1

Atf Mtl

I'll try to help a little here.

The yellow sticker on BMW manual transmissions is to indicate they use ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid.

If Redline recommends D4-ATF then that is what to use, although I as well as Mike Miller and other folks use the MTL product. I think it offers a bit more viscosity and thus protection in a manual. In a modern street car, either / or is fine in my opinion. You can also use the Mobil 1 synthetic products that are also very high quality.

Other things you will need are two aluminum crush washers for the diff, (none on the transmission, use a small amount of pipe sealant there) hex driver to loosen the drain and refill plugs on the diff, (always loosen the fill plug first on both to make sure you can break it loose as they are sealed in there very tightly) and a hand held squeeze pump makes the job of filling so much easier. I would have 2 liters of each lubricant to insure you have enough no matter how big a spill you have along the way.
    ;)

Enjoy![/B]

snikwad guest

oohh, i was like wtf, well i didnt replace mine on my diff when i changed the fluid. :eek:

no leaks yet. ;)

WAM guest

Make sure you undo the 'fill' plugs first, then the drain plugs. You don't want to drain the transmission or the diff and then find out you can't open the fill plugs.

bobsmitter guest

I use Royal Purple Syncromax In my 6 speed and find it shifts a lot better than with MTL.