Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Adding oil to a 2007 550i??

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by jd1966, May 28, 2010.

jd1966 guest

This may seem like a dumb question - but where exactly do you add oil to a 550i??

My iDrive tells me to add a quart and I just want to make sure I put it in the right spot...

Thanks

tiFreak

I got the image from google, pretty sure it's the same as your engine bay though

EDIT: crap I messed up resizing it :eek:

EDIT EDIT: fixed

Steven Otto

Before you add oil, check the oil level using the dipstick. Your car has one. It's located on the right hand side of the engine bay, back in the rear. You should see a black plastic knob coming out of a tube, just to the rear and to the left of the red plastic cover you see in the phot you've attached. Pull that knob out of the tube and you'll be able to read the correct oil level in your car.

Check your dipstick.. I-drive may be lying to you.

jd1966 guest

Thank You

All set - needed a quart.
    Thanks for help...

railroader guest

It's interesting that while my iDrive didn't say anything about adding a quart in my 335d, it
    did actually need oil on my recent road trip to AZ. From an odo reading of 1500 to a reading of 3000, it took one full quart to bring it up to the top of the 'stick. I'm not worried; it's a new motor. But I'm glad my car has the 'stick; my 2008 328i (traded in) did not, as you guys know, have a dipstick. Sometimes there is something to be said for "old-school" technology!:)

Steven Otto

So did you check it using the dipstick prior to adding oil???