Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M3 DCT $13200 to repair!!!!

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by drsunnyk, May 27, 2010.

drsunnyk guest

I'm about the order a 2011 M3 sedan with ZCP. Like a lot of people, I was trying to decide between a 6MT vs. 7DCT. I have driven both and still can't decide. Since I keep my cars for a while (98 E36 M3 purchased new is now my autocross car), I wanted to know how much would it cost to repair the DCT transmission out of warrantee. My friend and parts manager locally told me that there is no parts available for repairing the DCT. It is similar to other BMW automatic and are replaced when they fail. The cost for a new DCT transmission is approx $13200 and $1200 in labor. In contrast, a manual transmission is $780 in parts.

Can anyone confirm or refute this? If this is the case, then I'm buying a 6MT no matter how magical (and it was wonderful on the test drive) the 7DCT. I'm not about to pay 50%+ of the depreciated price of the car to fix it as it matures.

az3579

This is a given. A standard manual transmission will ALWAYS be 100% more reliable and 100% cheaper to fix than any sort of electronically-controlled transmission.

And more fun, too.

CSBM5

It is part number 28007842377 which has a BMWNA MSRP of $12,215.70. Tischer BMW on-line site price for it is $9,772.56 if that makes you feel any better. :) I'd get the manual box too -- a lot more fun and involving to drive a stick imo too plus you get to control the clutch (and the amount of wear to the disc and throwout bearing) which is much more out of your control with the DCT (which btw a lot of E60 M5 owners are finding out as the cars age and t/o bearing issues are surfacing).

The 6MT box BMWNA MSRP is $5,616.25 with Tischer price of $4,493.00. As for finding internal parts to rebuild such a box, I think that thought is often met with "good luck" -- most likely you'd be buying a reman box for $5k+.

drsunnyk guest

Chuck,

What I still don't know for sure is if the 7DCT will need to be replaced as an entire unit, like automatics, or can the worn parts internally be replaced for less. I have never heard of replacing the entire manual trans box, just the worn clutch plates.

az3579

The DCT transmission is still too new. At this point, if there's something wrong with an internal component, I believe the dealer just replaces it under warranty; it's definitely a lot faster than just "fixing" it.

Also, let's not confuse the SMG transmission in earlier E60 M5's with the DCT transmission in new ones; they're entirely different transmissions.

Zeichen311

BMW has been moving steadily toward--maybe has already arrived at--non-serviceable transmissions, including the manual gearboxes. The problem seems to be that the internal parts are simply not given BMW part numbers. Thus common rebuild parts like bushings and synchronizer collars become hard to identify and impossible to order. If the OE vendor cannot or will not supply individual parts to consumers or service shops, bypassing BMW, then we're S.O.L.

There is a glimmer of hope: Sometimes, the components of once monolithic assemblies are assigned individual part numbers, years down the road. An example is the little plastic button on the seat belt that keeps the buckle from sliding to the floor. Ten years ago you had to replace the entire belt assembly to replace that button; today, you can order them individually.

Bottom line, there is no way to predict whether, ten years from now, you'll be able to buy parts to service any new BMW transmission. The indicators of history are contradictory and it could go either way.

ForcedInduction guest

Manual trans don't have clutch plates but there is a manual clutch and pressure plate in front of the trans that wears and needs replacing over time. Manual gear boxes do wear and the syncros and bearings are usually what needs to be replaced over time and any gears that show serious wear. As noted by others, now days trannys are pretty much unit replacements so the choice is $6K vs. $12K plus labor, not $780 in parts, if in fact replacement parts can actually be obtain down the road.

FWIW, car makers pay for cars thru the parts dept. :D It's a reality of life because they have a monopoly.

az3579

The thing is, by the time the synchros or gears wear (assuming you don't drive irresponsibly with it, such as power shifting), the transmissions will be so dirt cheap to buy another that it won't matter. My Getrag 260 that came in my car originally had over 340k on it before the second gear synchro could be audible, and it still worked fine.

ForcedInduction guest

It depends on how well the person drives... ;)

CSBM5

Ah, got it now. I didn't realize you were talking about a worn out clutch/throwout bearing/flywheel situation. I really don't know about the DCT. I do know on the E60 M5 SMG cars that the clutch/flywheel/etc are all changed out just like a normal manual transmission -- no big or special deal.

Robotrenegade guest

You could always get the extended warranty for 3k. In the us its 100,000 miles 10years i think.

Poleposition

This logic is just flawed. It reminds me of my parents when they were buying a new Ford when i was a kid. They didnt want to get power windows because it was just something else that could potentially break down the road. The DCT tranny is one of the most enjoyable things about these cars. There is no less of a fun factor with DCT and the performance is better. It is the epitome of new transmission technology available today. Not getting one for the reasons you state is absurd. You probably shouldnt even get an M3 with this thought process. Lots of things could go wrong out of warranty. Better off sticking with a 328. Much less to worry about.