Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

EZ Pass issues 2010 5 series

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by pcbeckwith, May 27, 2010.

pcbeckwith

I just purchased a 2010 528i and have a question relating to the placement of the EZ Pass transponder. My 2006 530i had a gap near the rear view mirror and that was the only place the transponder would work. The 2010 528i has no such gap and I am anxious to know where I can put the transponder on this vehicle. The license plate transponder is rather hideous when attached to the front plate and sticks out a bit much but if there is another way to mount it, I'm all ears. I travel quite frequently through NY and would like to know if anyone has a solution or if there really is a problem.

eam3

I'm not sure if the EZ Pass is much different than the Sunpass we use in Florida, but...

We have it just to the right (as seen from the inside) of the mirror all the way up to the top of the windshield. It works fine and does not block the driver's view in any way.

pcbeckwith

Thanks, that's where I placed the EZ Pass on my 2006 and had no problem. On the 2010, I don't see the obvious gap near the mirror and I was wondering if there is anything different about the placement.

BIMMIR guest

I live in Maine and have an EZ PASS. The upper portion of the windshield often does not work well due to all of the electronics in this area.
    I have mine in the lower driver side corner of the windshield. The inspection sticker is there, so I have a velcro strip just above it. The EZ PASS is obscured by the inspection sticker. It works great!

John in VA

Here in VA there is an optional transponder that is mounted to the front license plate frame. You may also have this unit available.

cbm3 guest

I use my ezpass in my 2010 550i in NYC and it works fine anywhere on the windshield, never had a problem.

kreed777 guest

I placed mine in the bottom right-hand corner of the window. Works fine there. Didn't want smack in the top middle of my car. Besides, if it didn't go off, they would run the plate and see it's tied to a Sunpass; therefore you wouldn't get a ticket.

sjzking408 guest

I have mine (in TX) right next to the mirror, half way covering the shaded tint and it works fine every time...

pcbeckwith

Went through the NY Thruway this past weekend, no problem with the EZ Pass.Placed the transponder right near the rearview mirror at the top of the windshield.

Clinesdale guest

Not only can you put an EZ-Pass transponder anywhere in your front seat, on dash, or on windshield, but it works in any lane. Mine once fell off the window after I changed vehicles without getting new sticky strips. I forgot about it and had it buried under a bunch of paperwork in the front passenger seat. The light turned green at the booth anyway.

drummerfc

I don't mount/attach it at all...mine's in the glove box, I take it out and put it on the dash when I need it, and put it back into the glove box when I don't. I sail right through the lanes (with the green light or "Paid") with no issues.

drummerfc

Hey - a bit off-topic but I LOVE the avatar! I envision the little boy standing there defiantly, saying "MY dad's car is better than YOUR dad's!"...and he's right. HA!