Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rolling Fenders?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Apex000, May 14, 2010.

Apex000

So i just purchased a set of e36 M3 Double Spoke II's :D (so excited) and i was told today that i may have to roll the rear fenders, is that true ? if so, may someone educated me on "Rolling Fenders".

thanks

MGarrison

Presumably someone will pipe up with whether they'll work on your car or not. Rolling the fenders would be the low-budget means of keeping your wheel/tire combo from rubbing on the inside fender or fender lip. I can't speak for an E36, but for instance on my E30, my 225/50's were catching the front inside fender lip, bending it out, and not helping the tire any. A large pipe of the appropriate diameter was used, jammed in-between the tire and fender, to bend in the fender lip, up & out of the way. Downside is, verrry difficult to roll fenders without cracking the paint and clearcoat. I suspect on a super-warm day, warming the paint substantially, and done really, really, really slowly, it _might_ be possible to get a fender rolled without cracking the paint - but, I wouldn't count on it. I wasn't too concerned about it in my case, as my car is more track-rat than show car.

M3Driver guest

Apex000

Oh okay, well I definitely will not try this myself. I'm going to give Black Forest Werkshop a call and see how much they will charge. Well, first ask if they even do this type of body work.

thanks for the responses

tiFreak

you don't need too, E36 M3 rims fit perfectly on a non-M E36

Apex000

yeah i just found that out lol.

but thanks for the response anyway :D

boostlife guest

can i fit a 245 4517 on those wheels in my 96 328is lowered on hr springs and bilstein shocks

granthr

That is what I have on the rear of my E36 328is. It is lowered, I have no rubbing. I am running Pilot Sports.
    • Staff

steven s

I rub slightly if I go lock to lock on the inside wheel wells.
    H&R Race Springs, 245/40/17 on 95 M3 wheels.
    Don't touch the fenders though.

Brian A

I have been "researching" fender rolling these last few days. I need new track tires for my E30 and want to squish in 225s a la Garrison. My 318i has bad paint, so I don't care too much about risking paint damage.

There are lots of Youtube videos demonstrating the process, including ones by Eastman (the manufacturer of the tools). I suggest you start there.

The bottom line is that it is a really low-tech process, including methods just using a soft-face hammer. I am inclined to use Eastman's "fender finisher" tool rather than the "roller" tool Garrison sent the link to. Any way you do it, it just looks like it requires patience and finesse. The Youtube videos let you assess whether or not you might want to try it yourself.

Here is a link to the other Eastman tool and video:
    http://www.eastwood.com/fender-finisher-and-heat-gun-kit.html

I enjoyed this tongue-in-cheek video showing how its done with just a hammer or a baseball bat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTK9IjKIYU

superdave2002 guest

All that to roll a fender?

The old school, and most economical is........... a Louisville Slugger, patience, and a six pack of beer.
    The top grade ash is more forgiving than a steal pipe. The taper of the bat allows you to progressively dial in more preload on the fender. Most good paint jobs will not crack if the rolling is done in small increments. (that patience thing)
    The six pack is for two buddies to push the car back and forth while you use the bat as a rolling lever and your tire as a rolling fulcrum.
    The real trick is to keep the beer hidden until it's time to stand back and admire your handiwork!:p

tiFreak

CRKrieger

:eek: WHY would you want to saddle a 318 with 225 section tires? Trying to get that 0-60 time up over a half minute?

Brian A

I'm doing it for the negative impact on gas mileage.
    1 people like this.

CRKrieger

Well, it'll work for that, too.