Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Curb Rash /Nips /Scratches - Any repairs for it?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sjz1983, May 11, 2010.

sjz1983 guest

Bought my first BMW a little less then a month ago....took extra care to park at the end of parking lots, away from pine trees and their dripping sap, shopping carts, etc and what happens? I managed to nip a curb that I was parked next to when I was pulling out.

Was too busy trying to see around the huge SUV that felt the need to park next to me as well as partially in my parking spot with me still in it.

Any tips on repairing curb rash/nips, not a big spot (maybe an inch long right on the very edge of the rim). 18 factory alloy

bcweir

Bavarian Autosport and other vendors sell wheel repair kits.

If it's just curb rash and minor damage, these can usually be repaired.

http://www.bavauto.com

It's not very difficult, but if you don't feel comfortable doing this, there are businesses that will either repair the wheel for you or exchange it with a new or refurbished replacement.

I think I prefer trying the repair myself vs. either taking my vehicle out of commission while waiting for a repaired wheel, or running around using my spare with no backup.

wretched

Arghh I know the feeling! My wheels were 100% until a tire jockey got to them! I haven't tried these products but they are a alternative to a profession repair. In my area we have a mobile repair company that does awesome work! Perhaps you do as well. Might want to check your chapters newsletter.

http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=5251

sjz1983 guest

What is the repair steps to fix it as well as materials needed?

I looked up on Youtube on how to do it but most of the videos don't tell you what materials to use, procedure, etc. Looks like most of them just sand the spot, prep it and paint it but no further details on it.

wretched

Dang BC! You got the post in fast! posted before I even hit reply nice!

wretched

sjz1983 guest

Thanks guys, I will most definitely be looking into the products on that link.

wretched

Good Luck SJZ! Maybe you can share the experience with us!

az3579

The general procedure for fixing it yourself is taping off the parts of the wheel you don't want fixed, sanding, cleaning, using bondo to fill in the rashed area, sanding it down to how it should be, cleaning, priming, cleaning, spraying, cleaning, and finally admiring your work.

Here is the page I found the info on when I was looking to respray my wheels:

http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm

sjz1983 guest

AZ...thanks for the link...awesome pics of the process in it.

bcweir

Yeah I'm a real gunslinger...

Whistles the theme from "The Outlaw Josey Wales."