Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Diesel Filler Neck Restrictor

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by goodol, May 9, 2010.

goodol guest

I am having a lot of trouble finding a gas station with the correct size nozzle to fit the BMW restrictor in the filler neck for my 2010 335d. No correlation between brands of fuel. Some have the correct size, most do not.
    Driving from PA to FL was not any different along I95 or in the Orlando area.
    Has anyone removed the restrictor?

Alighieri guest

Honestly, I've not had to. I've found all of 1 station that's not had a nozzle that fit my tank. :(

railroader guest

I've only used Exxon and Chevron in my SoCal location; they fit-- barely.
    It's interesting that the Chevron nozzle clears the restrictor by about a quarter
    inch total, or less. I'm doing a fairly extensive multi-state trip in 2 weeks; I'll report back
    what I find along the way through AZ, NM, CO, KS, MO and IL-- and maybe even
    some different states than those on the way back to CA. I'll be keeping a "fuel journal," noting prices, MPG, performance impressions, etc.at the various locations.

One odd thing happened once during a fill at Chevron; I was about half done pumping;
    for some reason I decided to remove the nozzle to check something and tried to
    re-insert it and continue the fill to full. The little metal "gate door" inside the pipe
    assembly had clicked SHUT--and would not re-open at all. I must have activated some
    kind of an internal protector that would not allow any nozzle to re-enter.

bimmertech guest

You should have an adapter with your car for the larger nozzles. If you can't find it check with your dealer.

railroader guest

It (the adaptor) is right there in the trunk, above the tool kit, bimmertech. The dealer told me it was for "in case you need to fill the car at a big-rig truck stop." Doubtful I'll ever need to try that-
    the big rig drivers might needle me a little, just for fun! "Wut's that car doin' at our pumps?"

A real feat would be filling the car at a diesel locomotive fueling facility! Bring her right up to the "Buckeye" hose at the Argentine Yards of the BNSF in Kansas City! Hehhee!
    ...Wonder if that stuff is ULSD ultra low sulfur- and what's the cetane rating?:)

goodol guest

Thanks for your reply. I am very interested to hear about results from your trip