Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Differential & Tranny Fluid Change

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by Stevewill1959, May 8, 2010.

Stevewill1959 guest

I am preparing to change the differential and tranny oil in my 2000 M Roadster. I was reading on the Red Line website that they recommend D4 ATF for the tranny in 1993 - up manuals. Does anyone have any comments on this? Also, they recommend 75w140 gear oil for this model differential. Any feedback is appreciated.

granthr

I think you would want to use MTL in the trans, I am assuming this is a manual. Did they even make auto M Roadsters?
    • Staff

steven s

You can actually use either.

I've been using ATF for the last +238,000 miles.

I've been using 75W90.

The BMW Manual calls for 75W140?

Edit: Oh, Red Line recommends 75W140.

Stevewill1959 guest

Thanks for the info. I'll go with the ATF in the grearbox.

The following is directly from the Red Line website; "The differentials equipped with multi-disk LSDs (1992-up) take our 75W140 (which also comes with the friction modifier already included)."

I'm an old school Harley and Hot Rod guy raised on 90 weight. I'm curious as if you or anyone knows about the Red Line recommendation.
    • Staff

steven s

Is a torsen diff considered multi-disk?
    I assume a clutch pack is what they call, multi-disk.

I had a clutch-pack and now a Quaife. Both use 75W90.

TommyBuckman

Syn Fluids for M Roadster

I also have a 2000 M Roadster. When I first acquired the car about 3 years ago, it was hard to shift on cold mornings. I finally got time to change the fluid in the trans, and a previous owner had put gear oil in it. I know it sounds strange, but the manuals in these BMW's take a type of fluid that is like auto trans fluid. I used Royal Purples recommended Syn Fluid for mine, and the shifter went back to working perfectly. I also changed the rear differential with Royal Purples recommended synthetic, but could not tell a difference. Since then, I had some work done on the engine, head gasket had blown on track, and the Euro Performance shop that worked on mine also fixed a leaking rear main, and a small shifter seal leak on the transmission. They went back with the RedLine Trans flluid. It works great.

tiFreak

that's the same stuff I have in my ti, it's a standard transmission and LSD too, no complaints here

Stevewill1959 guest

I emailed Red Line on Sunday afternoon and received this reply on Monday. I appreciate the quick response. Here is the reply;

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your M Roadster I would recommend the D4ATF as it closely matches the original viscosity and type fluid used in the late model BMW manual transmissions. In your rear differential I would recommend the 75W90, suitable for open or limited slip differentials. The 75W140 is a higher viscosity fluid BMW switched to in limited slip applications starting in MY 2002, I wouldn't expect any advantage or benefit to it's use in your differential.

Regards, Dave
    Red Line Oil

Stevewill1959 guest

Follow up-
    I changed out the transmission fluid with the D4ATF and can tell a pleasant difference with shifting. Good choice.

I also used Red Line in the differential. I believe it is a bit quieter now.
    • Staff

steven s

You think Red Line is good? Try BG Synchroshift II.
    I'm sure others will say Royal Purple is better also.
    Everyone has their favorites and they are all good.

It all depends how much money you want to spend.
    I've been happy with Red Line. I switched to Synchroshift II once to see if it would fix a problem. It didn't, but shifting was like cutting butter with a warm knife. :)

lcjhnsn

Now that you've changed the tranny fluid, make sure you flush and bleed the clutch fluid slave cylinder. I've found that fresh brake/clutch fluid makes a big difference in shifting with my Roadster.

Stevewill1959 guest

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.