Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Service costs?

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by alstroberg, May 3, 2010.

alstroberg guest

My 650i 'Vert is just four weeks old & this is my first post here.
    I have a question about cost of ownership. At delivery the dealer offered a "maintenance program" that would cover routine maint. after the 50 k mile free coverage to 100k miles. They asked $2300.
    What has your experience been about out of pocket costs for maintenance issues? This is not the extended warranty (that was$4500)

The dealer service advisor quoted ~$350 for spark plug change at 60k, Oil& Filter @ $130 (X3), cabin filter change $200. What else am I missing here?

az3579

Those are some horrendously expensive services, in my opinion.
    The oil+filter change sounds a little closer to normal, as I'm sure your engine takes quite a lot of oil, but $350 for spark plugs? Does that include coil pack replacement? There is no need to replace the coil packs unless they fail, so spark plugs shouldn't cost you much, about ~$84 before shipping and/or tax, and is super easy to do yourself. A cabin filter change shouldn't be anywhere near $200, either.

bluewagon

filter cost

A cabin filter from Bav auto should cost between $30.00 and $50.00 and about five minutes to change.

Zeichen311

The 650i's plugs cost $17-22 each, depending on the source, and there are eight of them. That's $136-176 right there. Split the difference and throw in 1.5 hours labor at $130/hr and you land right at $350. Nothing unreasonable there, except that you can save the labor cost by doing it yourself.

As for the cabin air filter, yes it's a cheap(-ish) part but they are not all as trivial to replace as on the E46. Some require a bit of work to access the filter. I have no idea about the 650i but if the dealer wants $200, I have to assume it's either not a five-minute job or they are ... umm, ambitious.

bimmertech guest

No one has mentioned brakes which will run $600-$700 per axle and will need replacing in that warranty period. The big question is this: when your service contract runs out are you a diy type, or will you be paying someone to perform the service? If you will be paying someone regardless, you can infact make a bargain out of that extended maintenance plan.

alstroberg guest

I called a local dealer today about brakes. The parts guy said pads & sensor for the front brake pads would be <$200. That's a pretty easy DIY.

So far I'm not seeing the value of a $2200 maintenance plan for the second 50k miles

Zeichen311

If you're at all handy with doing your own maintenance, there isn't any value.

These plans are of value to people whose concept of auto maintenance is to drop it at the dealer when the manual says so, pick it up serviced and pay the bill (perhaps after some whining or dickering). At best this is a partial hedge against inflation, since it locks in the cost of services. This is not a trivial benefit--e.g., my selling dealer's labor rate has risen 50% or more since 2001--but it's no gift, either.

The margin in favor of you the consumer is razor-thin (remember, the underwriter and dealer want to see some profit from these plans, in the aggregate). Basically, unless you take full advantage of every covered service within the contract term, you will probably lose money. I'd venture to guess the plan is not transferable either, right?

One service item no one mentioned: Sometime between 50K and 100K (probably around 60-70K) any BMW will be due for an Inspection II service. Apart from replacement of filters and such, that entails a few hours of basically crawling all over the car and (surprise) inspecting things, and can easily reach $700-$1,200 or more, depending on model. I'm surprised they didn't mention that in the sales pitch for the plan, since it mentally tips the balance for many people.

bimmertech guest

BMW did away with "Inspection" services with the advent of Condition Based Service (CBS) vehicles. Now the car will be due for a Vehicle Check @ every 30k. The Vehicle Check is covered under the maintenance plan - normal service pricing is around $150. In your brake pricing you did not include rotors which you WILL need at some point under the extended contract. Also the maintenance plan IS transferrable just like other factory warranties. You will also have the benefit of professional service with complete and unquestionable service records in the event you decide to trade or sell your vehicle. Every member will agree with the importance of service records when expecting a premium price on a used BMW.

Zeichen311

Both good to know, thanks. I didn't realize this was factory-backed--thought it was a underwritten by a third party, like extended warranties.