Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1976 BMW 2002 vapor lock remedy

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by fpoland, Apr 8, 2008.

fpoland guest

My '76 2002 will vapor lock and not start on the gasohol being used now if it is left standing for a while after being fully warmed-up. I have to let it cool down before the fuel pump is able to grab liquid fuel to send to the carburetor.

Does anyone have remedy for this problem? Fuel additive? Electric booster fuel pump?

EuroWerkz1

The enemy is heat and a 32 year old fuel pump not the fuel. First check that the fuel pump is up to snuff and that the fuel line to and fro are clean and clear. If that doesn't help try to shield the carb away from the heat by using a thick phelonic spacer gasket between it and the manifold, or I have seen people fabricate a sheet of aluminum to shield the heat from the engine to the carb. I'll say you have something else mechanical going on though.

Best of luck and report back onm what you find helps,
    Doug:)

fpoland guest

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tested the fuel pump pressure and it seems OK. I will investigate the heat problem.

Fred

Bimmerdan

You say you checked fuel pressure, have you checked it after the car is fully warmed up and sitting for a while (when you would normally have the vapor lock issue)? If you have pressure at that point but it still won't start, the problem is in the carb (maybe choke) or ignition and as Doug said, you probably have something else mechanical going on.

If you don't have pressure at that point, the fuel pump may be border-line and in need of replacement. Maybe the diaphragm has a small hole that gets bigger after heat soke?

Just my 2 cents worth as an '02 owner that has pulled more than his fair share of hair out trying to diagnose '02 related problems...:confused:

fpoland guest

Good point. I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fred

Mike Sedgwick

I just put a new Weber on my 76 2002 because the old one was hard to start , adjust, etc. i also had hoped to eliminate a skip that i have at steady speed, whether it's at 45 or 55 or 65, if i step on the throttle it goes away. i have replaced the coil, wires, plugs, points, condensor, etc.. and it still skips?

Mike Sedgwick

2002 Vapor Lock

I have had problems with this in the past and have used a low pressure electric fuel pump as a replacement to the stock mechanical one.