Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335is v M3

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by wretched, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Loaded 335is or a base m3?

335is loaded all the way! 5 vote(s) 41.7%
M3 base! 7 vote(s) 58.3%

tiFreak

it was actually in the middle of the 1996 model year, I've seen the odd early '96 E36 with a factory-installed LSD

wretched

Appreciate all of the input so far! Still cannot make up my mind. The models will be changing around the time I will be ready. Most people pick a 6mt over any thing else in favor of longevity and reliability correct? Besides purist reasons etc. BUT the E92 M3 has regenerative braking... How does everyone feel about this? I really want a dependable home care track toy. That is wishful thinking it seems until I find a E36 or E46 M to play with...

LOPHAT2

I'm Still in Elementary

Damen3...

I've owned a 2006 330i; 2006 46 M3 (SMG); and in December 2009 took Performance Center Delivery of my 2010 E90 (DCT).

I owned both cars at the same time and sold the E46 M3 (2006) on 21 April 2010. I had the pleasure of owning and driving both cars at the same time for three months. I'm still in elementary so to speak regarding technical aspects but I do have 6th grade practical experience. I've attended the BMW Performance driving school and all exercises were performed using the 2008 335is. During performance center delivery I also drove the E92, like I stole it, for the exercises.

Any who, the E90 is significantly heavier, approx. 3700 .lbs as you know and the E46 is approx 3200+; you can feel the weight difference. Comparing the E46 M3 to the 335i; I'll take the E46 M3. Comparing the E90 to the 335i/is; I'll take the E90. Here are a couple of reasons why:

1. Every man wants a V8.
    2. I like the normally aspirated engine and I've heard many more complaints about the turbos on the 335 and very few regarding the M3.
    3. In October 2008 I attended a seminar and a BMW aftermarket expert, name I won't mention, speak in Northern VA. He was posed the same question regarding the M3 vs. 335. His response was that possible the best vehicle BMW ever made was the E9X. He noted that the 335 is a great vehicle for zipping around town but the M3 is great for tracking. He named other characteristics but had nothing negative to say about the M3. He stated that the turbos will eventually bog (spell) down and that the 335 simply cannot keep up with the M3.
    4. 2011 as I understand, is the last year they'll make the M3 in a V8 and the next generation M3 will be twin-turbo and who knows, the E90 sedan may be nixed in 2012. No vehicle is an investment but the sedan will be a great vehicle to own, henceforth and forever more.
    5. Nothing grabs attention on the road like an M3; universally known. The hood scoop is unreal.
    6. You can ALWAYS get a 335; do yourself a favor, so to speak, get an M3--you won't regret.

And last...one of the most profound quotes I've heard is..."an M3 is always an M3 and a 335 is always a 335".

I purchased a 2010 E90, special order, and my only regret is ordering red leather seats instead of black.

Someone previously made the comment that dealers can't give away E90 M3s; I will gladly take one/trade with black leather if they will make me a reasonable offer/trade.

az3579

What's your beef with red leather? What's the exterior color?
    Certain exterior colors go reeeeally well with the red, and if I was ordering, I'd definitely get something like Space Grey on red. :D

LOPHAT2

AZ35Z9...

My beef with red leather? The color is beautiful; however, I think it shows wear a little faster than black. Since I plan on keeping the car for a very long time I think from a wear standpoint that black would be better. The exterior is the space grey (I believe it's called) and I have the extended leather upgrade package. Everyone that has seen the vehicle thinks the red is beautiful. I also, for whatever reason, think that I can tone down some of the flash of the vehicle if I had black.

I need to make a decision on whether or not to keep it or trade/sell for one with black seats before I add mods. I plan on swapping out the 19" OEM wheels for a lighter aftermarket wheel and I'm going to upgrade my exhaust.

bcweir

I believe I've been misquoted

You said:

What I actually said: dealers can't give away E90 4-door M3s, which is true that not only are the four-door M3's slow-sellers, but BMW is discontinuing offering the M3 in the four-door model.

My guess is most likely two-fold here:

The four-doors are not available with the carbon-fiber roof offered on the M3 coupe, and some consider the rear to be more attractive on the coupe than on the sedan (personally I think it's a matter of taste, but it could matter enough to sell the car). I can't imagine why BMW feels compelled to offer two different rear sheetmetal and taillamp designs for what is otherwise the same car except for the number of doors.

I might also add that two of the previous four M3 generations were never offered for sale in 4-door format at all: the E30 (arguably the most popular M3 of all time) and the E46.

Nothing was said (from me) about the M3 coupes being a problem on the dealer lot.

az3579

Take care of the leather and the wear won't be so bad. Remember, you have to live with the car, so what's more important to YOU: having a color that you want, or having to compromise color for longevity? If you're getting an M3, you don't want to compromise, otherwise you'd be getting a 335!

Besides, it's not like the red is going to be that much worse... they'll probably wear the same, only it'll be more obvious in the red because of the color.

... which really is too bad. The E36 is too bland for my tastes, and the E46 looked absolutely spectacular in 4-door form (ZHP), so it's really disappointing that they decided to skip the practical side of the M3 by "discontinuing" the next 4-door M3. What's even worse is that if BMW is following the current design trend of the new F01, and the new Z4 and 5er, I know that the next 3 is going to look spectacular, and that if the M3 didn't come in 4-door, they'd be out a customer if I was looking to purchase one (if I get rich) in that time...

I just don't see how people could possibly not like the 4-door.

Zeichen311

It may not be that people don't like it, so much as they don't need it. I would venture to guess that the majority of M3 buyers also have another vehicle and are able to forgo the practical aspects of the sedan.

tiFreak

an E90 is a 4-door, the E92 is the coupe, so you weren't misquoted

bcweir

You're technically right. Thank you.

However, the way you initially worded it did make it appear you were referring to the M3 in its most recognized form -- the coupe. Not every M3 buyer observes the FOUR (four e-codes for one product line -- jeez, who comes up with that nonsense? No wonder BMW ran out of e-codes!) very similar E-codes, so on the face of it, it did appear you were quoting me on the M3's more recognizable form -- the coupe. Generally, when most people talk about an M3, they assume one is talking about a coupe, unless it's specified as a convertible or sedan. The 1-series is an even worse offender with FIVE e-codes.

I blame BMW for assigning separate E-codes to what was formerly one e-code for the same generation of M3, regardless of bodystyle. Up until the current generation, one e-code referred to ALL 3-series in ALL bodystyles.

Thank you for the clarification.

Regarding the differences between the two bodystyles, I do find the coupe's rear and taillights much more appealing. I'm a bit mystified how such an elegant rear design found on the coupe eluded the sedan. The rear taillights of the sedan looks chunky and clumsy by comparison.