Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Is the alternator covered under CPO warranty?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by ChipBeau, Apr 19, 2010.

ChipBeau guest

I have a 2004 Z4 3.0 that is still covered under the CPO. I just got finished changing the oil and filter and had the Z idling while checking for leaks (none!!).

I noticed that the alternator or possibly the idler pulley right next to it was making a fairly loud noise - most likely bearings going bad.

So, the question is - is replacing the alternator or idler pulley covered under the CPO? Thanks.

bimmertech guest

The alternator is........but not for noise. It would have to fail. More than likely you are hearing the idler next to it that you mentioned. I don't believe the idler is covered either as it is considered a wear and tear component.

bcweir

Never say never for anything CPO related. Ask for a customer satisfaction survey.

Dealers are all about these surveys, and they don't like anything less than perfect surveys. So if a dealer refuses to make you totally happy, tell them you are going to request a customer satisfaction survey, and make sure you let them know they will not be getting a perfect CS score if they don't take care of it for you. Let them know BMW North America will be getting this survey from you.

Even if an item is not covered by a warranty, a customer can ask for a goodwill repair. The dealers don't advertise goodwill repairs, but they will do them. However you have to ask for one if the situation warrants doing so.

Be tactful, be polite, but stick to your guns. You'd be surprised what they will do when a CS survey is at stake.

The pushback on a dealer from BMW NA on a bad CS survey is, from what I hear, nothing nice! Wield that survey!

ChipBeau guest

Thanks all for the info - I'm going out of town for a week so I'll see what it's like when I return.