Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Stress Rod links

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Marzochi, Apr 17, 2010.

Marzochi guest

Hi All,
    Wondering if any of you have this same issue...? I have a Bilstein coil over kit with aluminum control arms. As you might know, you can't use the stock stress rod links for the coil overs. You need to use the stock e36 links. However mine do not align properly.... they do fit but only at about a 25 degree angle off 90... So they go bad quite quickly. Does anyone else have this issue? If so any thoughts on what I should do about it?

tjrinaldi

what I know about 1995-specific M3 geometry is this: the control arm bushings are offset and not centered, and stock M3 geometry calls for the sway bar links to attach at the STRUT. I am not familiar enough with this Bilstein kit to know why they would recommend it for M3 and not respect its proper setup...make sure first that you follow these two points before moving forward.

You are going to have handling issues with the way you have it set up....not to mention unreliable wear. My initial reaction is to recommend you get rid of the struts and go to something better (still Bilstein) that is designed exactly for our generation M3s....get the PSS-9 system. It's more money, but it fits beautifully on the car and plus you can adjust the shock dampening all around 9 different ways. It's awesome at the track, too. The one and only criticism I do have about the setup (I do have this installed on my car with Turner's stiffer sways) is that I find Bilstein's springs a little stiff for the street.

But hey, it's a sportscar, right?