Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E34 Lower Door Trim

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by E34_William, Apr 12, 2010.

E34_William guest

As many may know the lower part of the door on the 95 530i is a magnet for rust. i took off the old bottom trim. and would like to replace with NEW. I've looked everywhere, Are there any places that sell the trim beside the dealer???

bcweir

Have you tried to recondition the lower door trim?

I checked Realoem.com. If you're talking about the bottom of the door itself, you should be able to sand, primer, then repaint the bottom edge of the door.

But if you're talking about the very bottom edge of the door that comes off, Realoem.com shows the bottom edge door covering to only be $24 per door.

Are you trying to mine the copper off the edges of pennies or what?

az3579

Honestly, looks like the trim is the least of your worries. I see rust bubbling up already...

bcweir

My point is that the trim can be repaired or replaced inexpensively

That rust? That's a job for sanding, primer, and repaint.

As long as the trim isn't damaged, you can reuse it and reglue it on there.

Been there. First of all, you have the M-tech trim rather than the standard stuff. If that's the driver's door, that piece runs about $100.

I did the rust repair thing a couple years ago. It's usually worst on the inside of the door, where the drains and seams are. What you have looks similar to my situation before repair, and my DIY results on a white car were adequate. The paint doesn't quite match. but it's OK on a 15-YO car. A metallic clearcoat is more of a challenge using a rattle can. Buy you can do the prep work and maybe save a few bucks.

I used POR-15 to cover the rust on the inside of the door after sanding away the loose stuff. If rust has perforated the door, you may want to take it further. Make sure you get the seam sealer out of the seam near the door lip -- it traps moisture. Reseal it with POR-15 or equivalent.

On the outside of the door on areas that'll show when the trim is installed, I'd recommend using a rust neutralizer like Naval Jelly or Oxy-Solv to remove the rust completely. Apply the chemcal and cover the treated area with Saran to keep it from drying out too quickly. After letting it work for a couple hours, rinse and repeat as needed. Once the rust is totally gone you can prime and apply filler putty to fill in any pits.

As you may have noticed, the door skirt may also have some rust in it too. Its design is not BMW's finest hour. I salvaged the trim when I originally made this repair but now it's deteriorated to the point where I'm going to have to replace it. I just ordered a replacement from BMA parts for $88 plus $14 shipping. Again, that's just for the driver's door.

thr33dviz guest

Thanks for the wonderful information.

russellc guest

On the 95 e34 all bottom door trim is painted. New from parts houses like BMA or dealer. It is iabout $100 for each trim. Used is not a good idea as they can be rusty and can be damaged when pulled offf and may not reinstall correctly