Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Suspension for a E30

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Rickbee, Apr 6, 2010.

Rickbee guest

I just purchased a replacement suspension for my E30 325 and am kinda wondering how much to expect the cost for labor to be for front and back.

Zdaneman

Ok, I'll bite

How much suspension did you buy? Shocks, bars, braces, bushing ect, full kit, what level of performance, stock replacment, level of performance???

Here in lovely Washington DC, the labor at one of the better non stealerrship shops with a qualified BMW mech charged me 1K for installation of bilstein shock and a alignment job.

Of course everyone knows lots of crooks live in DC!

Zdaneman sends

az3579

That is a LOT of money.

I got charged about $650 to install:
    Bilstein Sport shocks 4 corners
    H&R Sport springs 4 corners
    Shock mounts 4 corners
    Brake rotors 4 corners
    Brake pads 4 corners

The $650 included tax.

John in VA

This is the kind of work you could knock out at a couple of the DIY tech sessions offered by the NCC. The club has the special tools that might be needed, and experienced helpers.
    I wish I knew you were looking for parts - I have E30 M3 springs (drops it about 1") and Bilsteins from our E30.

Zdaneman

John in VA

Mate,

I'll keep you in mind...I might be able to use the springs in the not so distance future.

Zdaneman sends

z31maniac guest

Do it yourself, it's not difficult. Go rent a spring compressor from Autozone/Oreilly's and get after it.

Part of the economy of an old car is working on it yourself. The only work I ever paid for on an E30 was having the subframe mounts and RTABs done, because its a pain.

jeanm guest

I agree, these cars pretty much require having a Bentley manual and some tools to DIY :)

OdSkE30 guest

Seems a little steep. I had basically the same done with those exact parts for bout $400. But I'm sure you'll love the new shock/spring set up! Feels just right on my '84 325.