Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

WTB: Beautiful '91 318iS

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by bimmerfahrer, Apr 7, 2008.

bimmerfahrer guest

I've been searching for a beautiful example of a 318iS. If you have one, or know someone who has one, and would like to make sure it goes to a good home, please let me know.

Thanks!

bimmerfahrer

bking

Just bought one for $1k. Skeptical at first because love sixes, but won me over with revs, low weight and lack of timing belt replacement or valve adjustments.

bimmerfahrer guest

Jeez..rubbing it in....:mad:....Just Kidding....:D I found a higher mileage example that had been cared for well. However, I'm still looking for a low mileage example (If one exists out there)

Good Luck with your iS, the M42 is definitely fun. Be sure to check out m42club.com, as there are some issues with this engine that you'll want to keep an eye on. I have a '91 318iC with 83K miles and just spun a crank and rod bearing...:eek:

Cheers,

bimmerfahrer

bking

Bought so cheap because 200k, so don't feel too bad. Forged crankshaft spun to 10,000 rpm in 80s F1 car so motor is overbuilt to say the least.

bimmerfahrer guest

Well, unfortunately this crank is done. There are some very deep scars in it. There were even some deep scars on the block, just about the thrust bearing. This rendered the block useless as well. Luckily I have a spare block and crank from another motor.

One of the known "weak spots" of the M42 is it's 180degree thrust bearing and when there's a problem, this is typically where it starts. I've hooked up with Metric Mechanic for a new set of bearings (crank and rod) and I'm told this is one of the best ways, if not the best, to go if you're planning to rebuild.

EuroWerkz1

Yes, you are looking as are most BMW enthusiasts. I have a pretty good handle on most really nice BMW's that are bought and sold and I can tell you that there are very few of these cars left, they sell for enormous relative money, and there are hundreds of us out here ready to pounce.:) In the last couple years 3 notable cars have sold. One was a red on Black car on eBay, a strong 8+ car that I think brought over $8k. That was the bargain. Recently a Anthracite 318Is that was super clean and a bay area California car sold privately. This car was near concours and had a few tasteful mods like modern wheel sizes and the aerodynamics had been refinished. a under 50k mile car, and beautiful. It sold for over $15k. The last car was a higher mileage (120k) silver car that was for sale for one day and brought $6k. The problem with these cars is they have a good following plus even the best of the best is affordable to most anyone. They are out there but you will have to be ready,be quick and have money at the ready.

Good luck..unless you and I are on the same car... ;)

bimmerfahrer guest

Doug,

Thanks for the note. Yes, I've definitely noticed that people are ready to pounce on these. I managed to acquire one that's in very nice shape. I found a small area of rust and I'm planning on having a body shop take care of it. The car has 188K on the chassis, but it's on it's second engine. I'm also contemplating a Metric Mechanic rebuild of the engine for a little more HP and to longevity. This will have to wait for now, as I'm up to my neck in an M42 rebuild for my '91 318iC.

I'm still keeping my eye open for one that's in pristine or near pristine shape and would have no problem dropping $15K for the right one... I even spoke to Mr. Dethlefsen about a "restoration", but he recommended patience and be ready to pounce as well... :D

Cheers,
    bimmerfahrer

bking

I am amazed, but not surprised. e30 318is is great car. I didn't know what I was missing until I read Grassroots Motorsports write up, then finally Mike Miller gushing about how great of a car it was. Heck, I wasn't even looking for one, I just wanted to replace my e30 325is with another one.

granthr

Hello. I have a friend who is selling his 91 318is. It is silver on black. It has about 185k on it. It is not perfect and was in an accident at one point. If you are interested I can ask him if you can contact him. He was a member of the club at one point.

GR

granthr

Just saw this in ebay, the car wll need some serious TLC though! :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1991-BMW-318is-Alpina-E30-Wheels-Not-M3-5spd_W0QQitemZ330264304127QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330264304127&_trkparms=72%3A727|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

GR

granthr

boomer5

Why not go for a reliable and fairly clean 318 cabriolet.You're getting all the fun of a 318is,and when you drop the top,the fun to drive quotient literally goes through the roof.:)

[IMG]

nbitter guest

I bought an alpine 318is no sunroof a year ago pretty clean example with 73K now has 87K. Runs very strong with no oil burning or anything of the sort. Replaced the 4.10 open dif with a 3.73 lsd..... I do a lot of highway driving. I can email you some pics if it sounds like something you would be interested in?

missmelyssa guest

I need to do my hw

I'm new to the e30 scene here.
    Do all "is" come with 4.10?
    Just curious.

Just got a '89 325 cabrio.

granthr

To answer your question, no, just the automatics did.

From the Factory this what generally came with what in terms of final drives.

325i or is Automatic 4:10, LSD usually on is
    325i or is Manual 3.73, LSD usually on is
    318i or is M42 Motor 4:10 small casing, again LSD on is
    M3 Manual only, always LSD
    325es, not sure on ratio, but I think 2.93, but LSD most likely.
    The regualar eta motored cars came with 2.93 with either manual or auto. However, the very early cars which came with 2.78 and with both trans.
    318i M10 motored car came with 3.91 small case, LSD was an option, again very early cars came with a 3.64 small case. Diffs where the same on both trans.

So if you want to make your 325is move, put a large case (for E30) 4:10 LSD in it! :D

It is great to take a 325ix auto and drop a manual in it, b/c it will have the 4:10 diffs, the rear is a viscous coupling.

I got most of this from Jeremy Walton's BMW 3 series Enthusiast's Companion.

Brian A

I have a 318i with a factory installed small case 4.10 25% LSD: it was an available option for the non-s 318i.

(What is the difference between a 1991 318i and a 1991 318is BTW?)

MGarrison

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think there were anything but 318is offered in '91, although maybe there was a 318ic?

nbitter guest

4.10 lsd was not standard on any model 318 s or not. It was an option that most people opted for. The s models just had better seats and sportier suspension but you had to pay extra for the lsd.

nbitter guest

The 318i and iS were only offered in 91. Makes them sorta rare. Plus they had timming chains with self adjusting valves only e30 to have these features. Good for 100k before you need to worry about valves and chain.

granthr

History of 318i in US.

1984 to 1986 318i was offered as a two and four door. M10 motor w/ J Jetronic Fuel Injection. Mostly just entry level, but you could order many options on them, including LSD and leather.

1991 318i and 318is w/ M42 motor. The 318i was strictly a four door, was the first BMW to cost below $20k in a number of years and it was the last, here in the US. The 318is was strictly a two door, came with black out trim like the M3, sport seats, deep front spoiler and rear deck spoiler, and 14 inch basket weaves. Most had vinyle interior, a few had clothe. Leather was not an option. Colors were also limited on the 318is.

1991 to 1993 the 318i Cabrio was offered, again M42 motor. This was a sub $30K cabrio, as the 325i cabrio was now selling more than $30K. Not sure of all the options, but you could not get a power top on the 318i cab.

The story I have heard on the M42 motor was that it was really for the E36, but it was ready to go ahead of time, so they dumped into the E30. In the case of the 318is, they essentially made a M3 lightweight or poor mans M3. The car weighted around 2,600 lbs. The motor was prone to a profile gasket failing, but by now most have been replaced. The replacement ones do not fail.