Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ever seen this before?

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by db2002, Mar 9, 2010.

db2002

I just recently came into ownership of another 2002, which is fated to be a parts car. I have already begun taking it apart and came across some interesting things.

1) while removing the engine i noticed that it did not have a stock head. The head is marked as a head from an E12 manufactured in 1980. The E12 was the early 5 series designation and i dont believe that a 4-cylinder 5 was ever imported to the US.

2) In the process of removing the engine we had to disconnect a chain from spanning from the driver side box rail to the engine block and a small hydraulic ram from the passenger side box rail to the block. The only thing that i can think of is that they were there to prevent the engine from torquing itself under throttle.

On another note, does anyone know how to determine if the steering box is a quick ratio box?

thanks for the help
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

1) E12 is just a code for the head casting. There are a few different types and it has nothing to do with the chassis code.

2) I don't know why anyone would do that unless they were drag racing the car, and who would drag a 2002?

granthr

CRKrieger

Yeah; 'E12' was one; '121' was the older one. The E12 head I had came off a 320i.
    X2. The M10 wasn't exactly a torque monster ...

granthr

I think it is more of a vibration damper than anything else. 4 pots can be buzz bombs.

Mike Miller

The close-ratio steering box was originally painted with red oxide primer, while the standard steering box is bare aluminum.