Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

dilemma

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 330indy1, Mar 8, 2010.

330indy1

I have a dilemma. I have a paid-for 2001 530i with 112k well-maintained miles as a family car (two small children). Not sure if I want to dump it and take on debt -- we want a Honda Pilot.
    I have been in a wait-and-see mode for so long (looking at the Pilot since 2008), I am now caught in the BBD mode. (Bigger Better Deal).
    What my motivation has been recently is: take 9 grand for the 5 and put into the new Pilot. Rather than wait for the tranny to go south and then take it in the shorts. I figure I have 20k miles left of trouble-free running in the 5.
    It is gambling either way. You may ask, what is holding me back?
    1. Taking on debt, even though the deals are really good
    2. The lower mileage on the Pilot
    3. We're out of winter
    4. The economy is far from out of the woods
    5. The girls fit comfortably in the 5, and will for a few years

My head hurts

any wisdom is welcome

[wow...to top it all off, I just received a very nice carbon-fiber based writing instrument from BMW in the mail today, 2nd anniversary for the M purchase. It's like.... they know.... somehow.... that I was about to turn.... AAHHHHGGG !!! ... I really like this pen.]

whorse

Sell it, Ge t the reliable Pilot. and save some money on the side and get an older BMW and fully deck it out or get a nice e46

TeamStowell We love driving!

Been there before...

Do not sell the 5 yet.... we ran our 2000 540 sport until it had 193,000 and sold it only when the auto tranny started to feel a little strange. My neighbor bought it with full disclosure of the situation and it is still looking beautiful and running almost a year later. I did this to get out of debt, purchasing the 89 325iX with a portion of what I got from the 540.

You have a great car which may run for many more years, puts a smile on your face and makes your girls giggle when you run them around a 90 degree curve. Why go into debt when you do not have to? There will be deals and more cash in your pocket when you need to do this. Don't trade "Joy" for a potential problem which may be years away.

330indy1

thanks for the comments. good encouragement to hold out.
    by the way, what were the "signs" from your 540's tranny?

drummerfc

Wholehartedly agree. I bought an '02 525i almost 2 summers ago. Since then I've put @35,000 on it (5-speed with original clutch) and it's still gives me goose bumps. Plus it does cart around the one daughter who still doesn't drive plus a couple of her friends. I'm amazed at the trunk room in this car!! Can fit a full set of golf-sticks plus 2 pretty big suitcases.

Screw Honda ;) !!

M3Driver guest

Keep it. I still, from time to time, wish we had kept our 2000 528i. It only had 114k on it when we sold it. Sounds like your car is only getting broken in good now.

Dmarque

You forgot to include some other issues worthy of consideration in contrast to dumping your pefectly fine 5 Series in favor of a Honda Truck. That 15% DUMP you'll take on the Honda the day you drive it off the lot. AND the new source of an escalating loss of capital from 5 years of coming depreciation to be realized on "the truck".

You are ignoring the more attractive option of putting just a little money into a BMW 5 Series to sustain it as the wiser financial choice. You might consider re-orienting your thinking to view your car as a gem that has to this point been unappreciated. Detail the car from stem to stern and I don't mean superficial waxing and carpet cleaning. I mean look at those mechanical elements of your car that need updating and bring the car up to showroom running condition. It can become a new car AGAIN.....

For far less than the depreciation you'll experience on "the truck" you'll become the owner of a really fine classic automobile instead of becomng another one of the "me too" SUV crowd. Keep your car and renew your committment to become an "auto enthusiast" by putting a little love into your Bimmer.....rather than looking at some new girl that you think has no flaws until you actually get married to her. There's a lot more pleasurable miles in that car than you give it credit for my friend.

TeamStowell We love driving!

I'm very good at listening to my cars, and it started to sound different. It was also starting to search for a gear, occasionally jumping up and down between gears or hesitating before engaging.

Keep it, enjoy it, replace it with a 570iXBR549 in five years! :p

az3579

We all know I'm not fan of slushbox cars, but...
    In this case it does make more sense to keep your car. The main reason is not to get into any more debt. Is there really a reason for needing to have a Pilot, or does the E39 fulfill those reasons well enough? If so, keep it, and keep on top of maintenance until you can comfortably afford what YOU want. Perhaps by then you'll want to keep the E39. :)

Tahoe guest

I agree with Stowell. I have been toying with the idea of selling my '00 540/6 w/ 85k mi. since I have the iX running but I don't think I can part with it. Too many sweet little mods and just to nice a car. I don't think I'll ever buy a NEW car again. The newer the car the more difficult and expensive to work on not to reiterate the aforementioned depreciation of a new vehicle.

330indy1

If I can sell it near edmunds retail, because of all the new parts I have in it, I will. If not, I'll hold onto it.
    It needs shocks/springs, and I just don't want to put anything more into the car that is not absolutely vital/ only oil...
    I'll leave that to the next guy.
    I will have an answer from a friend who is interested Friday. If he doesn't want it the "for sale" sign comes off. We'll see.

Pete540i guest

Same Dilema

I am in the same place as far as a decision - "to keep and pay maintenance costs or to sell and buy new." I've decided to keep my '97 540i because I still love the car. I've put alot of blood (really) and sweat into the car. It's mine. I still have concerns about the tranny failing and costing $5-7K on a replacement (has 108K miles). Currently, I have to have the rear main seal replaced (about $1K yikes!) because it has a minor leak and the left side (driver and rear passenger) windows need regulators. I know I will need to change the struts/shocks someday soon but I can wait - it still handles fine but a little too loose for me. Regardless, I intend to keep her. Good luck with your decision.

330indy1

the verdict is in
    I'm keeping the 530i
    long live the E39

az3579

That appears to be a decision of smart thinking. :)

M3Driver guest

Harumph.....!!!:D

330indy1

funny how a paid-for car drives SO well. even better than a freshly detailed one;)

hey
    you can't question my loyalty....
    e46, e39, e85