Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sunroof seal and drains.

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by whorse, Mar 8, 2010.

whorse

Ok dealer claims my sunroof seal was bad and that's how water got down to my LKM and started the fire. I changed the seal myself to save another 300 bux labor they quoted me.

Ok my question is, If my sunroof seal was leaking wouldn't the water go down the drains and out of the car? I really don't think they would design it like that. I remember my e30 had little pipes going down the pillar and drain outside.

I cant take this anymore i don't have the time or money to keep dropping the car off at the dealer and not getting the job done.

Tahoe guest

yeah, there are good sized holes at the front of the sunroof recess if you look. they can easily get plugged, however. just one more of those things to keep an eye on so that won't happen.

ronfrohock

I had / have the same problem

As it turns out, my drains were fine. I found another problem.
    the was water coming in thru poorly sealed holes adjacent to the drains.

I pulled the headliner down and looked up to fine light coming thru a hole that once was filled with black gooey stuff that was used to seal the holes from the factory.
    The stuff drys up and shrinks, and then the water comes in!!!

I went ot an autobody shop and they gave me a few feet of the stuff and I went to town filling the holes - on both sides. I then flooded the area to verify the fix.

Now I have to get another LKM. Off to the dealer to get fleeced.

I also will re-locate the LKM away from the firewall so it wont get wet again should it happen again. The cables are long enough to put it in a horizontal position next to the window computer over the feet......

Dont think you can get a LKM from a Junk yard as it will turn your tamper dot on you instrument cluster, then your really screwed. The LKM talks with the ECM to verify and store milage.

Good Luck!
    - Ron

ronfrohock

Whores, How difficult is it to change the sunroof seal?

Which one did you change? The one around the opening with the seam at the back, or the one on the glass?
    What was the cost of parts? Do you have any suggestions?

whorse

I changed the one around the opening of the roof. Its about $50 from the dealer. Hardest part of changing it is cleaning all the old glue off. Get urself some goo gone, and a heat gun, will make the job a lot easier.

whorse

Can i ask you for a favor and take pictures of the spot your talking about. Also if you do relocate please take some pictures of the relocation cause I'm seriously considering relocating mine cause i don't need another fire. I wont be lucky twice!

ronfrohock

I will.

I just need to figure out how to post the pictures.

bcweir

Try clicking on the paperclip button (indicated by the red circle) in the picture

Then click on the browse button and browse to the location of your picture, then click the upload button. Then post the message as normal (click on the attached picture below this message)

kearnsclan guest

leaking sun roof repair

I am also interested in the DIY procedure and pics on this repair.
    My 540i 6spd has no problems with the darin that I know of...yet!!

Thanks for the posts and info on this.

Looking forward to pics to 'see' how to do it.

drummerfc

Not to get completely off-topic or anything...but...

I have to tell you...I have seen this sig in many of your posts and I love it! My sentiments exactly!! :D Too many people in this country think the first amendment only applies to them but not to anyone else...least of all those who disagree with them.

whorse

Can u email me the pictures? I pulled the kick panel open last night in the rain and found the lkm wet again!!!

nd4spdlsc

Have you considered getting parts online for less? GetBMWParts.com or other such sites would likely yield an OEM part for less than the local dealer, unles syou are already getting a hefty discount.

I would also appreciate pictures. Nice work with the fix! I believe the black gooey stuff you refer to is butyl rope. It's used to seal windows and other things.