Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Window problem

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by scouteralex325, Mar 4, 2010.

scouteralex325 guest

Hey all,
    I am fairly new to the club (haven't posted anything before) and I'm not sure if I'm even posting in the right area. I have a 87 325e and the passanger side window all of a sudden quit working. This happend before over the summer and I sorta fixed by taking off the door panel and " fooling with the wires" until it worked again, and never touched it again until today. Now it won't move at all, it may seem dumb but of you all could post maybe what you think the problem is, and give some advice? Thanks, it's much appreciated!

Alex

granthr

Could be any number of things. But start at the easy places first. Start by checking your fuses. Then make sure your window switch didn't fail. This does happen. Swap in a switch from a window that works. Then move to the wiring harness where it goes from the car chassis to the door. There is a plug there and the prongs/connectors can get corroded. Clean them and see if that makes a difference. Finally it could be the wiring in the door or the motor itself. Buy the Bentley Manual for the E30 and it will be very helpful if you do need to replace the window motor.

BMcW

Does it sound like the window motor is trying to work? My left rear window on my 1988 32iC sticks sometimes. I have to lightly smack it a couple of times to get it to work. My seals are bad so it's likely from moisture getting into the tracks. Check the switches first though as explained in the above post.

scouteralex325 guest

Thank you both for the reaponce, I did listen to the motor and it doesn't sound like it is working at all, I did pick up an e30 manual just in case, and I swaped out the switch but no such luck so will try again tomorrow fooling with it, and checking the other list of things you suggested Thanks again for the advice!!!

Alex

tiFreak

there might be a break in the wiring if you were able to get it to work by wiggling the wires in the past