Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Front suspension problem, bushing & arms

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by kearnsclan, Feb 24, 2010.

kearnsclan guest

My 540i at 85k miles shakes when braking at 45-55mph. Most I read says that the front bushings are bad.

I assume they mean the upper thrust arm bushings.....but what about the lower control arm bushings?

Do the worn out lower control arm bushings or ball joint act the same way?

Which one is likely to give out and be the cause of the shimmy??

And should I replace both the upper and lower ?

thanks guys and gals

whorse

If you can DIY change all 4, get a wheel alignment and check ur tie rods out too. I changed all 4 and got the oem bushings pressed out and then i installed the Powerflex solid bushings. Shimmy gone, hard braking feels a lot more stable and car handles like its on rails. Only downside to the bushings is u feel a lot more of the road noise.

If u gotta cut a check then let the mechanic check it out first, u can save some money by changing only the worn stuff but ur gonna spend more in labor going back next year to change the other side.

kearnsclan guest

Front end bushing and shimmy

Appreciate your reply..

Do I also have the 'ball joint' pressed out and replaced as well as the bushing?
    Or is it only the bushings that are the culprit here.

should I replace the whole arm assembly rather than just the bushings??

I should be able do it myself, but this is a new DIY procedure for me.

Need to get the right tools too. Any suggestions?

thanks a ton !!

whorse

Oh sorry i meant to say change all 4 arm assemblies they come with ball joints and bushings pressed in already. You can save about 50% on the arms if u buy the aftermarket, but you get what u pay for. The oem stuff is really double the price but last alot longer. I went the cheap way on the arms because i was replacing the bushings anyway and i live in NY so my ball joints get destroyed every 2-3 years no matter what!

Heres a write up on how to change the arms that cause the shimmy, I didnt have to loosen the strut since i just hammered the old stuff out and didnt need the room for that tool. I also did NOT have to pre-load the suspension since i used those solid bushings.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/494028
    SC4ME likes this.

whorse

oh cool reputation points! click me some if i helped you at all bro. ill do same for u

kearnsclan guest

Front end bushing and shimmy

MANY THANKS TO WHORSE !!!!!!

Completely clear now.... Will order as you suggest.

Link is great too!!

thanks again..

kearnsclan guest

Thrust Arm Replacement

Just a follow up to the close the discussion.

Changed out the whole thrust arm on R and L. Thot is was better to replace the whole unit on both sides.

WOW!!! What a difference it makes....No more shaking while braking!!!!!

Solid feel now. will also eventually change out the wishbone or lower strut/control arms, but they seem good for now.

thanks to all.......

whorse

Nice happy it worked out good for ya.

Nothing like changing old parts and felling the difference on the road!
    Whenever something needs replacing on my car i like to upgrade it if possible. After 10 years of doing that i know what will make a difference and what is just a waste of money.